Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Funding In Kent

nicki-k

I have just received confirmation from our early years team at the KCC that our funding will increase to 38 weeks from 1st April BUT if we do not open parallel to the maintained school terms we will only receive funding for 33 weeks. Therefore if we decide to close 2 days earlier we lose 5 weeks worth of funding! :o How unfair is that!!!!

We are fortunate that we can open for 38 weeks but the principle of it really annoys me. I read the Dfes code of practice and feel there proposed recommendations should apply to all local authorities. The KCC haven't decided on the increase in session amount from September but whats the betting that we don't get the full 6.8% allocated from government.

Sorry to rant - Its great we can now get 38 weeks and I suppose I should be grateful for that! :D

Hi Nicki,

I got mine today too. (also from kent). I agree that the system appears to be gradually squeazing out the small, village/town preschools, or settings who are unable to open 38 weeks,and in the future for the 3 hr sessions.

I do not understand why they cannot pay funds for week 34 or 35 or 36 or 37.

The way I understand it is that there is only 11 weeks available Spring Term, so the remainder is shared 14 weeks in Summer term and 13 weeks in Autumn Term.

Business wise it would be useful if parents, once they have made their choice of setting, had to "book" the whole year, thus only one parental declaration form and a clear budget for me to work from. ( obviously moving would be a consideration).

The information letter wasn't very clear, it didn't state how many weeks per term, just to follow maintained school dates.

I was interested to see that they put in bold lettering the fact that grant money cannot be used for any time other than the 2.5 hrs per session, and that to do otherwise constitutes inappropriate spending of public money.

A bit slow on the uptake I think, I told them this was the law 4 yrs ago when I understood this to be the case, yet other preschools in my area didn't charge for the remainder of a session and I lost some parents to them. ( still that's by the by now)

I know it's not their fault but I am really miffed that the parental declaration forms are delayed again xD It takes all my parents about 3 weeks to "turnaround" paperwork, and no doubt some will get lost during the holidays.

Just to finish my moan- We have to follow "statutory" elements as of the 1st April, so why do they not have to pay us the increase as of 1st April??

It's not exactly new information, a bit of tweaking here and there, but surely they were aware of 38 week funding was coming on line and could have worked out the finances before now. They've managed to work out my interim payment based on last terms figures. :o

Peggy

Hi Peggy,

I couldn't agree more! We too were charging our parents top-up fees for the extra 5 weeks at the government funded rate because we were told to do otherwise would be against the delegated conditions. We found out that other providers locally weren't following this ruling and we lost some children from our waiting list because of this. The majority of our parents have also chosen 4 sessions to avoid paying any top-up fees. At least they can have 5 in the future without any financial implications. My only concern is that we have a couple of children who attend other providers and share the funding so if they don't open for 38 weeks can we either insist they do 5 with us or charge top up fees?

The parental declaration forms are a pain aren't they. Why can't they accept one form at the beginning of the school year and then only submit another form if the parents decide to change the sessions.

The term dates for 2006/2007 are

4/9/06 to 20/10/06 7 weeks

30/10/06 to 15/12/06 7 weeks

3/1/07 to 9/2/07 5 weeks 3 days

19/2/07 to 30/3/07 6 weeks

16/4/07 to 25/5/07 5 weeks 4 days

4/6/07 to 25/7/07 7 weeks 3 days

These are the official dates on the KCC schools site.

It will be interesting what other conditions are imposed on us. I will wait for the briefing session with bated breath! :o

Edited by nicki-k

I'm only guessing but I think the letter implies that if a settting doesn't offer 38 weeks then the child , if attending 2 settings, will only be funded in the setting that does (only a guess mind you).

You can charge for any period of attendence that isn't within the funding so if you receive 2 sessions funding and another group receives 3 sessions funding, I would think that any sessions attended in your setting ( including weeks 34-38) would have to be paid for by the parent. ( Thus, ultimately making them choose to send their child to you for 5 sessions ( if you have the spaces of course).

Why does it have to be so complicated :oxD:(

Did you notice the paragraph that say's any new settings registering ( or re-registering) with Ofsted ( and LEA for funding) MUST provide the statutory 12.5 hrs per week and open for 38 weeks each year.

Yes, I'm looking forward to the briefing sessions, I shall be asking a few questions about payment increase from April instead of September. In fact I shall start a new post and see if other setting will receive an increase in April. If their LEA's can get the information in time then why can't Kent?

Thanks for the term dates. I always extend my weeks to make a full week, when schools start or finish mid week. ( makes the fees calculations a lot easier :( )

Peggy

hi Im from kent as well. we currently offer 4 sessions per week but will now have to up it to 5.

we will have to follow the term dates as shown but we were wondering what will happen when the local school has staff development days at the start of a term eg they plan to start back in sept on 5 th. will we still have to open on 4th or can we have a sdd as well. Any ideas?

sandie

As far as I am aware the funding can be used for SDD. I think it is expected that all staff attend 3 DDs per year. These can be done in the setting with input from your EYAT, if local training is not available on those days. ( I think). I will ask them to clarify this at the info meeting.

Peggy

• 4 months later...

Hello again to all Kent providers in particular PVI's. I have just come across a web site that you may all be interested in with regard to the new delegated conditions (that are currently suspended in Kent) www.saveournurseries.org.

And also did any of you receive twice the amount of interim payment for Terms 1 and 2 than you should have done too. Awaiting to find out if they intend to ask for it back or not!

Be interested to hear any comments.

Sue

Hi all, I am in suffolk & recive the 38 weeks of funding, this is our second term of reciving the new amount. We open for four mornings only. This has not effected our claims. Each child can have five sessions, so some take the left over session else where. Most parents feel that four mornings is enough and stick to that.

Hello again to all Kent providers in particular PVI's. I have just come across a web site that you may all be interested in with regard to the new delegated conditions (that are currently suspended in Kent) www.saveournurseries.org.

And also did any of you receive twice the amount of interim payment for Terms 1 and 2 than you should have done too. Awaiting to find out if they intend to ask for it back or not!

Be interested to hear any comments.

Sue

Thanks for the website. I've attached my response.

I haven't had my interim payment yet. Maybe they've doubled our funding :o , and pigs can fly xD

Peggy

Dear_Campaigners.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)