Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Often Do You Read/change Books?

:) i HAVE JUST PUT A RATHER LONG POST UNDER 'GUIDED READING IN FSU' BUT WAS WORRIED THAT PEOPLE WHO ARENT IN UNITS WONT READ IT. :o IVE TOLD MY STORY THERE BUT WHAT I BASICALLY NEED TO KNOW IS HOW OFTEN YOU ALL OUT THERE READ WITH YOUR CHILDREN AND HOW OFTEN THEY GET BOOKS SENT HOME? :) ID REALLY APPRECIATE ANY REPLIES. THANKS ZIMx

Hi Zim

We use Cliff Moon book banding so don't follow a set reading scheme as such but have books from lots of different schemes.

The children are encouraged to bring their book bags to school every day and we monitor this closely (keep a check list) and take appropriate action when necessary. They are allowed to change their reading book whenever they want to, so some change daily whilst others might change theirs once a week or less!

All the children read individually to an adult (me/TA/other helper) at least once a week but I don't do guided reading until the summer term.

A small number of children need extra support and we do focused reading work with them on an individual basis every day.

HTH :D

Hi there, I will be interested to see what others do

The children change their books daily with parents. I only set books for my children who are reading as the others are working on Jolly phonics and we don't have any good books to support this, they have word box words to practise blending.

I read/ share books with children once a week as does my TA-

As I said I will be interested to keep an eye on this thread :)

I hear mine read once a week, so does my TA and me and the Y6 teacher have recently started a 'thing' where the Y6 will also hear them read once a week. I find the whole hearing readers thing very stressful when I still have children who are only part-time and so I know that I've got to hear x, y and z before they go home at lunch-time. It becomes a lot easier when they're all full-time.

Edited by Guest

Hello,

All children in my reception class take home 2 story books a week.My TA and I do guided reading twice a week - we hear two groups each during the sessions, ensuring that we both hear every group once a week. Then I hear the children who are independent readers (who have moved on from the first book band) individually on a friday and a parent volunteer hears them on a monday, so these books get changed twice weekly.

Emma :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)