Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Using Art Work

Hello,

I am looking for creative ideas for using art work as a starting point for lessons.

In our setting we often use books as a way into activities, but we are hoping to use different starting points to inspire our learners.

Does anyone know of any great projects based on artists work? Any suggestions welcome!!

It really depends on how much work you want to get from the picture -The National Gallery have been running their "Take one picture" campaign for a few years now, so there might be something on their web site?

In the past we have done work on camouflage linked to Rousseau's tiger in a tropical storm painting...

Could you look at something like Van Gogh's sunflowers and link it into growing sunflowers? Lots of opps for painting and mixing different shades of yellow or green.

I'm sure the ideas will flow in :D

Thanks, I will have a look at the National Gallery's web site.

I was hoping to make cross curricular links using a painting or sculpture. Using the art to link and inspire a day or a weeks learning depending on what it lends itself to.

Coming up in the summer we are looking at journeys, carnivals, zoos and transition to year one, although I am sure we could link any other ideas into our planning in the near future.

We have a school near us who teach all their nonfoundation subjects through art, from reception to year 6. It took a lot of work to organise but sounds fantastic!

There is a Folens/ Belair book that you might find useful--cant remember the exact title but I was looking at it at the Ed Show on Saturday!!

Is it 'In the Picture: creative activities inspired by famous paintings' by Joan Chambers and Molly Hood? Published by Belair Publications Ltd ISBN 0-947882-89-8

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)