Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cooking...recipe For Hot Cross Buns?

Hi there do any of you fabulous people have a simple/ effective recipe for making hot cross buns???

Easter is looming and i need to get going but have cleverly mislayed my recipe from last year!

be most grateful if someone could help me!

many thanks in advance :)

Hot Cross Buns

Ingredients:

sachet dried yeast

400ml warm water

75g butter

2 eggs

500g strong white flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 nutmeg, freshly grated

175g currants

50g candied peel, chopped

75g honey

strips of marzipan

glaze: 1 egg beaten with 100ml milk

Method:

pour half the milk into a small bowl and sprinkle the yeast on to it. in another bowl, mix the eggs and butter into the rest of the milk. put the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the salt, nutmeg, currants and candied peel. make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast mixture, butter and egg mixture and honey. mix everything to a dough and knead it in the bowl. cover with a clean cloth and leave it in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until it has doubled in size.

pre-heat the oven to 200c. knead the dough again and form it into round buns. lay them on trays dusted with flour. roll out the marzipan thinly and cut it into thin strips. brush the buns with the glaze and leave them in a warm place for 20 mins to rise again before baking. bake for about 20mins, or until lightly browned. take the buns out and place on a wire rack to cool.

One of my colleagues gave me this recipe last week, so not tried it yet. seems like it takes most of the day to do!!

Hope it helps

Nicola

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)