Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Thrass 'teaching Handwriting, Reading And Spelling

Guest Miss Molly

Guest Miss Molly

I am Reception leader and literacy co-ordinator. Our school has had training in 'THRASS' to teach reading, spelling (using phonics) and handwriting. I am a keen user of THRASS and I would be interested in gettting in touch with other Reception teachers (or KS1) using this 'scheme' to share ideas and thoughts. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I work in an lea nursery and we've been using THRASS for about three years.

We absolutley love it as it makes so much sense!

In nursery we only do the letter name rap from the cd but obviously further on in school they do the other raps.

Every Wednesday is THRASS day and we 'do' a sound a week, discussing it in small groups and listening for the sound in words.

The children learn which box their name belongs in and the George's and Charlotte's (and everybody else!) just accept their sounds.

It took some getting used to but we really like it. Pity the ofsted inspector didn't :o

x

Guest Miss Molly

Thanks for the post Fluff! I am pleased to hear that there is someone out there who also uses THRASS and I am keen to share ideas. I am shocked to hear that OFSTED were not so impressed because as far as had heard they had recognised it as a possible way forward!

I also use Jolly phonic style actions and some stories alongside the 'families' to teach them the phonemes. This works well. Perhaps you could use side 2 of the tape which is much slower for your little ones?

I have been amazed with what the children can achieve by the end of the Reception year using THRASS. Although I find it is quite a lot to introduce at the beginning of the year, and it takes time for the children to be able to use it to support their reading and writing, it is well worth it.

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread but yesterday our Head asked if we'd heard of THRASS as he'd heard it was very successful for phonics teaching (his conversation was in relation to children with profound hearing problems)

My only experience was brief and a number of years ago (got to say I thought it was very uninspiring........ but am willing to be persauded otherwise)

Has anyone more recent experience? Do you find it successful?

We are a FSU so children from the age of 3!

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I'm a reception teacher and my school introduced Thrass after Christmas. The children are really enjoying it, especially the raps.

Vicky

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)