Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

under 2's room

I'm a curriculum lead and wanting to check our baby room is offering the required provision. Can someone please tell me if under 2's need planning? What should it look like? How much time should they get outside etc?

I'm much more familiar with pre school so although these seem like basic questions I want to be clear.

Thank you!

Hi nurserybod,

Well done on making your first post :D

Yes, absolutely the U2s need planning - I've posted the relevant part of the Statutory Framework below 

Statutory framework 1.6: Practitioners must consider the individual needs, interests, and stage of development of each child in their care, and must use this information to plan a challenging and enjoyable experience for each child in all of the areas of learning and development. Practitioners working with the youngest children are expected to focus strongly on the three prime areas, which are the basis for successful learning in the other four specific areas. The three prime areas reflect the key skills and capacities all children need to develop and learn effectively, and become ready for school. It is expected that the balance will shift towards a more equal focus on all areas of learning as children grow in confidence and ability within the three prime areas. 

As with the whole Statutory Framework it is up to you how you meet the learning and development requirements - but the framework covers all children 0-5 so your pre-school experience will apply in your baby room too. 

You must have an experienced practitioner in your 0-2s room:

Statutory framework 3.31.For children aged under two:

• there must be at least one member of staff for every three children
  • at least one member of staff must hold a full and relevant level 3 qualification, and must be suitably experienced in working with children under two
  • at least half of all other staff must hold a full and relevant level 2 qualification
  • at least half of all staff must have received training that specifically addresses the care of babies
  • where there is an under two-year-olds’ room, the member of staff in charge of that room must, in the judgement of the provider, have suitable experience of working with under twos

If you are unsure about the requirements or what 'best practice' looks like in a babyroom is there a nearby setting you could visit?

Hope this helps - there are plenty of very experienced babyroom practitioners on the FSF who would be more than happy to answer more questions! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)