Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Symmetry

How do you introduce symmetry in Reception? I did something last year but it wasn't very successful. Practically all the children in my class understand the idea of repeating patterns and can continue/create their own. Thanks!

Looking at our bodies is how I usually start. If we cut ourselves in half down the middle are we the same on each side? etc etc

Then looking at symmetry in pictures using mirrors.

Activities for the children include completing the missing half of a symmetrical picture (either drawing or using playdough), building symmetrical structures with duplo or similar, painting symmetrical pics by folding paper. I'm sure there are loads more things and there are definitely ICT programs around too.

HTH :D

My favourite activity for symmetry is face painting but we also do things like splodge painting (folding it in half to make a butterfly) using colour magic on the PC you can split the screen and it has an option of copying what you draw on one side on the other half of the screen, lots of cutting pictures down the centre and matching the two halves to complete the pic stick half a simple pic onto a piece of paper and get the child to complete the picture.

Hi Moose

Try using a pegboard if you have any.

I draw a line of symmetry down the middle of the board. I introduce it as the line of symmetry and then proceed to make a symetrical pattern starting at the top. I put a green peg next to the line and then put another green peg on the other side of the line. I then use a red one next to the green on one side and then another red on the other side. I continue like this until the whole row is full and symmetrical. I then start the second row and so on. In group work we use mirrrors to check symmetry.

The children love doing this and soon catch on that both sides have to be the same. They then do the same with little round stickers, paint,felt pen dots on either side of a line of symmetry.

I hope this makes sense, it would be much easier to show you but as of yet we haven't got video link up, have we?????!! :o

Trudiex

I've done looking at butterflies with my nursery children, which at the time I thought was rather brave and a lot to expect of them. However, surprising results. I drew a butterfly shape and cut it out, then I used coloured plastic shapes and did a basic pattern on one side, e.g. a red circle at the top and bottom and a blue square in the middle, and challenged children to decorate the other side according to the symmetry. Obviously I didn't use lots of mathematical language with them, but I did drop in that this is called symmetry. Several children were able to attempt this with relative success.

I love doing this area of MD.

After a few days on the IWB with a paint program looking and talking about symmetry and introducing the concept (or if you haven't got one then dry wipe pens on the whiteboard) we visited India...

I had a photo of the Taj Mahal and blew that up to A3 and laminated it. We talked about where in the world it was, looked on the globe etc and then I drew a line down the middle and we looked for the symmetry; we had Indian music in the background to set the scene and we then looked at the symmetry in Prayer mats. The children where then given A4 coloured card with the line of symmetry down the middle. They then could stick 2D shapes onto their 'prayer mat' making it symmetrical. They then hole punched the ends and knotted wool into them to make the fringe. To finish off they stuck a photocopied compass (from the orignial mat) onto it to make it look realistic.

The children later went onto indepedent drawings in fine black felts of the Taj Mahal. They have been so inspired by it all and it covered lots of K&U and PSED to boot :o

Another very effective way to teach or introduce symmetry is to lay a skipping rope on the floor and have lots of different coloured shapes of varying sizes(2 of each) cut out of card and lay them around the floor (or if outside, then double lots of PE equipment...cones, spot markers, beanbags etc). Start by placing a shape on one side and ask the children is it symmetrical/ why not? what do we need to do? etc they soon get the idea and working on a larger scale works wonders. It was interesting to note that after we had created such a complicated pattern that when I took a piece away the children wanted thought that to make something symmetrical you always had to add something, they found it hard to accept the fact that you could take something away on the other side to make it symmetrical again! They got there in the end with lots of consolidation. I left this out as an independent activity so it was great to observe the children in their symmetrical play!

Have fun... we certainly did :)

I've also used butterflies to introduce symmetry to Nursery children. They understood it surprisingly easily and most were able to stick precut shapes onto a butterfly shape to make a symmetrical pattern. Also butterfly printing reinforces it brilliantly (splodge paint on one side of paper and fold).

I also used the whiteboard: using the 2simple program I had either a butterfly or face templates for the children to choose from as a base, then the children drew patterns/features on one side and they could watch the other side being completed symmetrically as they worked. Parents were dead impressed.

Love J

A second 'thank you' to everyone who helped me after my initial thank you! You've all come up with some great things that have really inspired me and helped me get my head around it. I love this site!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)