Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inspections - What are Ofsted concentrating on?

WEll that will teach me to eat my words just have notification from Ofsted that we are due to have our inspection in Feburary so here goes - digital camera at the ready and my boxres of files. Would still love to hear from anyone on what they are pulling people up on?

Nikki

From what I have heard from other groups in Stockport they are pulling up on the following for the care aspect

Good standards of hygiene-wearing aprons and gloves to change children, wearing aprons for preparing snacks.

Encouraging self help skills at snack time-letting children pour their own drinks, put straws in cartons etc.

Having a key worker system-they really like it if you have one.

Privacy and dignity when children go to the toilet-they should be able to close the door if they so wish.

Child protection policy in place and upto date-especially the addition of a section on what you do if you suspect abuse of a member of staff.

Ensuring that the correct number of staff are appropriatley qualified or are working towards this.

That's all I can think of at the moment. But if you go into the OFTED website and look in the inspections section you can look at the outcomes for pre-schools/nurseries in your area.

And remember, different inspectors will look for different things and have different issues.

With the education side they are making sure you have a good balance of structured and free play. Ours were keen that if children were absent and they missed a planned activity what ways we did we ensure that they didn't miss out. We don't always carry on a specific activity into the next week if a child is away. How did we address this? They were also keen to see more activities for the children to "tap into". In other words instead of having a structured activity with bean bags and balls say just let them have them during the morning during free play time.

Hope this helps

Linda

Thanks for that Linda - as you say each inspector seems to be homing in and concentrating on different things. Child Protection, as it should be, seems to right at the top with every person I have spoken to - from what you are saying they seem to be encouraging free play - I am going through what they are looking for and will inspect against but good to get feedback from those who have actually been there. Posted a note up under topics for input on All about me and Chinese New Year as I am drawing up my very, very, detailed plans for January/February. Any input would be most appreciated.

Nikki

• 1 month later...

Linda, thanks. We are putting in our aplication for our next daycare inspection so any advice is welcome. Think it is time to enforce the apron rule! :D Chris

• 2 weeks later...
:o We are having our inspection in March. I teach a R/Y1 class has anyone been through an inspection under the new framework with a mixed age class? what are they expecting? currently drowing under masses of paper. Some help would be appreciated!

I work in a Nursery School which had an inspection in October and while we got a 'Very Good' (which was nice), they seemed obsessed with writing.

We have lots of mark making activities, there was plenty on display but they wanted more. I was curious as while we had a very good team, none of them had any foundation stage experience and I wondered if they actually recognised that our mark making was developing writing skills.

We were told that in the next national OFSTED report writing would be highlighted as a main area of weakness, so possibly it will be targeted more and more. A school near to us also had similar comments on their report.

I hope this is helpful

Don't know if this is of any help but thought I would mention it. We have just had our first combined inspection at pre-school. It was fine (stressful but fine!!!!) We were chatting to the inspector after it was all over and she mentioned that something ALOT of inspectors are finding is that within Mathematical development there is a lack of provision for calculating. Lots of settings are great with actual counting and number songs etc but calculation of numbers was lacking. We were fine on this but thought I would just pass it on for those awaiting inspections. Also hot on opportunities for chidren to recognise and write their name, devloping independance (putting on own aprons etec) and within creativity that artwork was child produced as opposed to lots of adult input Really allowing for individuality of being creativity and not an end result of virtually identical end products.