Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Correct Titles For Committee Members

My setting is committee run and I have been told (actually an unknown person crossed out the word person on the notice and added two exclamation marks - wished they had just told me) that the correct title for the chairperson as I have been calling them, is chair, we have a Secretary and Treasurer. We have several other people who are committee members and I was referring them to as General Member. Can anyone advsie if this is correct or is their another name?

Thanks

Sue

I personally don't see why the title chairperson would be offensive, I believe this came about as a non gender term for this position. I wouldn't like to be referred to as a "chair" ( unless I was also described as soft, luxurious, comfy, leather xD:o ) oh, and hardwearing. :(

I also wouldn't like to be referred to as a "general" anything, because I think I am quite unique :(

I would ask the "chair" how he/she would like to be referred to as, another overall title for the Secretary and Treasurer could I suppose be "Officers" but this wouldn't inform anyone of their actual role. ie: Jane Smith - Officer.

How does your constitution, which is agreed by a quorate membership refer to these roles, the title I shouldn't think could be changed from what is written in the constitution, unless of course you have an Extraordinary meeting and the Charity Commision agree any changes. :(

Sorry not much help really.

Peggy

Opps - pressed the wrong button by mistake.

Meant to say actually Peggy - a great really - I don't have a copy myself of the constitution but will ask tomorrow for one. I thought along the same lines as you about being called a Chair!!

Hadn't thought about being called General!!

I suspect it was one of my co chairs who changed it so I will draw it to her attention tomorrow and ask her thought s on what she feels the correct tittle is.

Had to admit I couldn't understand why whoever had changed the notice didn't just speak to me about it?

I don't much like being called a Supervsior but its my tittle!!!

Sue

Peggy

I dont mind being luxurious and I quite like leather but I would object to being refered to as hardwearing!!!!!! :D  :(  :o  xD  :(  :(

50310[/snapback]

Hmmm, Maybe I meant to say wearing well ( for my age), or even looks like new ( I wish) :D

Peggy

Quote "I suspect it was one of my co chairs who changed"

Ah, now I see the problem, chairperson is in the singular and not plural. Maybe you should be called chairpeople or chairpersons as there are two of you. Or, you could always introduce yourself as a two-seater chair, and half of you is empty at the moment.

Sorry, don't want to offend by making light of your predicament, I just ( as I am sure you may have noticed) think it is all a bit bizarre, as long as the job gets done, no-one is offended by any title, and everyone knows who is who, that's all that matters.

Peggy

I can think of some titles for some of my previous committee members - chief complainalot, volunteer for eveything but do nothing officer!! Sorry - not very helpful, I know, but I couldn't resist. :o

Oh dear - titles always seem to offend some people - luckily my committee don't mind what they call themselves - in fact, we have a selection of titles - all pretty bizarre and all made up with a sense of humour - we have a chief events co-ordinator, an NEG corodinator known as our "power walker" energy/NEG .. get it - as Peggy said I think under our constitution we only have to have a named Chair, Treasurer and Secretary - the others can be called what they like and often do. Otherwise they just call themselves committee members....

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)