Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Literacy Targets ,displaying In The Classroom

Guest tinkerbell

Guest tinkerbell

Hi

Do you display the targets in the classroom and how?

I have really limited space for this kind of display.Fancy a chat now?

Tinkerbell

my predessor had a small coloured box for each group of children with a couple of laminated targets for each group. She was then able to select the appropriate target to discuss with each group as she was working with them.

I must admit it was something I continued for awhile but have now let lapse as I wasnt sure how meaningful they were to the children.

I display objectives for parents to read on noticeboard and I also have a Big Picture noticeboard for the children to look at. I go through the big picture objectives (which are written in child speak and have a pic attached) with them each Monday and we revisit them throughout the week and then again on Friday, all being well, that's the plan anyway!!! xD I think it does help them to know where they are going but most of my objectives in group work I say to them and then repeat many times for them to go in! :o and only then if I'm lucky! :(

How about others, what do you do?

Trudiex

Trudie, that sounds lovely--any chance of a photo?

Also all these picture clues, what is your source? I hate searching clipart, makes me extemely bad tempered as I never seem to be able to find what I want. I even invested in some expensive clipart program and I still have problems!

Trudie, that sounds lovely--any chance of a photo?

Also all these picture clues, what is your source? I hate searching clipart, makes  me extemely bad tempered as I never seem to be able to find what I want. I even invested in some expensive clipart program and I still have problems!

50172[/snapback]

We are having a big drive on communicating lit tagets and would be really interested in seeing what others do and how they diplay them. Also how do you word the targets, can you you give eg's please! Thank you!

This is exactly something we are looking at too. The children are told what they are doing/ objectives etc, and they also talk about what they have done well each session. Time allowing... But we haven't worked out how best to display the targets, and whether there is any benefit in doing so. The pictures sound good though!

I have a puppet - Pip and when he appears the children say 'What are we learning today Pip?' I then give the objectives by replying - We're going to ...... Would be interested to see how people display objectives as Iwould like to move on to that soon. Is there a picture Marion or have I just missed it?

When I was training, I taught in a reception class with the targets displayed. There were about 8 or 9 targets for writing, which were displayed on planets at the top of the board. The children all made rockets which had their names on, and they progressed from the bottom to the top of the board when they reached their target. This was done as a ceremonial countdown from 10 (good for maths!) and the adult would blast the rocket to the planet. Hope that makes sense. Clear as mud?

I use a visual timetable on the interactive whiteboard (Prometheum) each morning and I talk thorugh what the children will be learning during the morning. I don't actually have the targets written up. I used to last year. I had a 'learning objective bear' form The Bear factory - he used to say 'what are we learning today' and he would have a laminated sheet aroeund his neck with a simple objective written on him. I find it harder now as I have R/Y1 but I should still be telling the children waht I want them to learn (or should I?)

Hi Marie and Marion

Yes I do agree that telling them is best but some children prefer to look and see rather than hear as we know. Giving them an overall picture helps them to link all their learning together over the week.

I must admit however that I have encouraged the parents to look at the board as well and that is for their benefit so that they know what is going on in the classroom. (Not many of them do look at it though)

Trudiex

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)