Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Deputy/supervisor's Children

This is just a query, are supervisor's/deputies allowed to have their children in same sessions?

Some years ago, we were told that your own child couldn't attend the sessions with you, I'm not talking as extra, he will be included in the figures and will claim funding as everyone else. We have another child starting soon too, he'll be paying fees and will be as part of the ratio, it's just that his mum will be deputy.

My granddaughter attends my setting - she is funded. When the Ofsted inspector was at my setting recently she did ask me why I was called Nannie - several children call me this now. She said as long as she was counted in the ratio and was entitled to the funding it wasn't a problem

I am the Supervisor and did ask my Committee and staff if they had any objections and I try not to deal with any problems with her and she is fine. She had her name on the waiting list the same as everyone else so she got her place in the correcxt manner.

Staff do spoil her a bit and I tend to be a bit stricter with her.

As long as it dosent interfer with your Deputys work i cant see the problem.

Sue

In the past I have had all my grandchildren attending. They were funded children who were treated exactly the same as the rest of the group. After all it has to be parental choice. During that time I had 2 inspections and I didn't think to even mention that they were related.

Thanks for your reply.

I had my son in pre-school with me just as I took over as Supervisor years ago and PDW told me that it wasn't allowed, but she would overlook it as he was leaving for school the following month.

She said the reason for this was because if there was an emergency, the supervisor or deputy's priority would be their own child and not others, which we didn't agree with as all children/adults followed the usual emergency procedure.

I mentioned this to a colleague in my area from another pre-school and she was told the same. Just wanted to see what others thought. The fact is, as you say, providing he/she has been on the list, pays like anyone else, I can't see that there would be a problem.

This is interesting for me. My daughter is due to start at our preschool this month. Initially she will only do one session as I am in all other days! I will be there but on admin so in the cupboard (yes I really do have to do my admin in a cupboard!) I have spoken to the other staff and nobody has a problem with her being there on 'my' sessions, especially as she has grown up with me looking after other children and is used to me being Tracey as well as Mum!

We have left it that we will see how she is with me being in the cupboard (!) and if it isn't an issue i will approach the committee to ask if she can attend while I work from September as we do currently have a policy that we don't allow staff's childrne to atttend the sessions they work. HOWEVER as we live in a small town, the other staff have all worked with nieces and nephews and Iwork with children I childmind...

I didn't realise it was a rule, I thought it was just our personal policy. Would it be part of PLA ruling or Ofsted do you think? I don't want to break any rules!

I have never heard of such a rule before. I have had children attending when their mums were working. I just found with one of them that he would run to his mum whenever things went wrong and didn't like to be told what to do by the other staff and one little girl always looked to her mum to make sure she was saying or doing the right thing. I think she was a bit overwhelmed at times by her mum's expectations. But other than that I can't see why there should be a problem.

Linda

This is the thing, is it a rule? I know it can be a bit difficult for staff having their own child with them. Sometimes you feel that staff may not want to tell them not to do something, just in case you take offence! It's always worked well with us, we made it clear up front that they be treated the same as everyone else, if they aren't behaving, we just tell them (children, that is, not the member of staff!).

The only time it has been difficult was when a child started before the mum was employed and he got very clingy and couldn't understand why she was there all the time! He soon settled again, so no big deal.

pandamonium - what would you do if your daughter doesn't come with you - wouldn't that cause you more problems? I know it would have me, I couldn't have taken him somewhere else at the time, because I had to be in my own workplace.

I just can't really see the problem unless the member of staff feels that it would be better for him/her to have time away from mum, which I can understand.

Does anyone know what the legal side is?

This is just a query, are supervisor's/deputies allowed to have their children in same sessions?

Most of my staff either have or have had their own childd in the setting. It's just not an issue. Parents are the best source of recruiting new staff.

Al

My husband and I are both registered childminders and work at the preschool. It basically works out that one of us is home and the other is at preschool so she can't attend any sessions that don't have one of us there - except the admin day which she will start with. As long as it isn't a 'rule' I'm sure it will be fine. It would be a real pain for her to go elsewhere and at the end of the day I don't want her to. She would have come to this one if I hadn't started working at it so I'm not about to change my mind. If it comes to it, we'll drop sessions so she can attend if it's a problem.

Actually my main problem is that the last supervisor (who is my daughter's best friend's mum and also my friend... you know hte drill!) is now our PLA Support Officer nad she is dead against staff working with their kids in the session.... eek!

Many Many moons ago when I was supervisor of a committee run preschool my son attended with me, duringan Inspection ( old social services type) the Inspector questioned me with this scenario: If your son and another child was on the climbing frame and both fell, which one would you catch, surely it would be your son, therefore having your son at preschool can prove to be a conflict of interest :o

My answer to her was, In that scenario I would react without thinking, catching the nearest child, or the child I could most likely save, as a natural instinct.

The "rule" I would say is one of those "urban myths", one of those rumours that "they" say. As far as I am aware there is no law stating the emplyees are not allowed to work in the same setting their child attends. In fact I would argue that this "rule" would contravene equal opportunities and could be seen as discrimination. The same as we should not ask prospective employees abouit whether they have children or not.

My son, as I said, came to work with me ( actually from the age of 6 wks old when I worked in an office, then from age 2 yrs in preschool. He even came to my business to do his work experience at age 16yrs. My daughter is employed by me, ( maybe in the event of a fire I will disregard all my other staff and save my daughter xD -tongue in cheek)

The fear I think is nepotism, but this can happen in any setting where an adult shows favouratism with one child over another.

As others have said, the early years workforce would deplete considerably if children of staff were unable to attend the same preschool.

Peggy

If 2 children fell off a frame at the same time generally you wouldn't have time to think hmmm which one shall I save would you let alone going for your own one! What a ridiculous question!

You might as well say that you'd only save your key child!

Ok, well I hope that's helped kymberly, it's helped me although I will wait to see how she is before approaching committee for bending of rules!

We're not a PLA group, but my deputy's daughter is here with her, and it's worked really well ever since she was 2 1/2 - she's 4 in May. My mothe rworked with me for a while, too, and my daughter was relief staff for a short period.

I agree totally with Peggy - I think if there was a'rule' it would raise as many issues as it solved. It's probably good practice to have thought through the issues first, though.

We are a committee run pre-school and a member of the PLA. Last year my daughter attended five sessions that I worked. (I was deputy at the time) This year one of our assistants has her twins in the same sessions she works. It causes no problems in pre-school - we treat all children the same. On the odd occasion when there is a conflict between parent/child one of the other staff members automatically steps in whilst the parent disappears for 5 mins in our very small kitchen. The issue is quickly forgotten by the child. The only major issue is staff having to be off with sick children, but this must be a problem in every pre-school because the majority of us have young children. We obviously don't have our own children as our key children. Nobody has ever said we are breaking any rules (ofsted or PLA).

The only comment we ever had was from a parent who didn't realise Hannah was my daughter and she commented that that poor child is always left sitting at a table waiting for her parents to turn up. We had a good laugh about it and the parent who made the comment is now our chairperson - she still laughs about poor Hannah!!!!

I work in a school we are part of a wrap around team, who basically look after schildren who are not full time children we are also registered for children from the age of 2, we have various staff children who come to us, they pay the same fee`s as well as everyone else and get treated the same, if at any point that ember of staff started paying more time with there own and not doing there job this would get pointed out to them, if it carried on we may suggest them being somewhere else, the staff children do not get any special treatment, to be honest i think we tend to ignore them more.

anna

I took over as supervisor at my preschool just over 7 years ago and I was offered the job partly because my child was already at the group,

as I went through the process of applying to social services to take over the role of supervisor I informed them that I had my own child in the setting but the inspectors didnt see that as a problem then and there is nothing in the national standards to say it has changed.

In hindsight I dont think it caused any major problems although my daughter did atart to act as if she was staff and became a rather cocky 4 year old!!! I think that was more to do with readyness for school than the fact mum is in charge.

I dont have a problem with staff having their children in the setting it's "parents in partnership" just what Ofsted like to see!

Hi I know that when social services used to "police" us they didn't like staff children because of the choice adults would make in an emergency, but now the Standards just say that "That the staff ratios include any children of staff or volunteers." which must mean that you can have staff children in at the same time as when you are working. it even says that any care for children 8-14 is not allowed to adversly affect the care provided for children under 8 year old. which I take to mean that staff children on staff training days at schools can still come to work with mums.

I let my staff work with there own children but generally the other members of staff discipline them, untill they get the message that mum is at "work". I always worked with my sons and had no problems, they used to avoid me because they said I was embarrassing!! :D:o