Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fairy Stories Planning

I am doing fairy stories as my topic this term and it has been my favourite topic so far. We did the three bears rap today and the children loved it. However, while I seem to have lots of ideas for most of the areas of learning, I am struggling with literacy. :o I must admit my training was pretty useless in this area and as a result I have very little confidence in my planning. I can spend a couple of hours just on my literacy planning and it's driving me mad.

So my plea is basically for any literacy ideas on the following stories:

The Three Pigs, The 3 Billy Goats Gruff, Little Red Riding hood or Snow White.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Have you looked at the Early Writing book? Not sure of the contents but there might be something you could adapt.

Also dont forget that sometimes you need to teach outside the topic, dont make tenuous links but theres lots of scope for character investigation etc.

I often get children to help me tell stories using the interactive whiteboard, so they have some visual stimulus but also listen carefully and contribute. They can also retell the sory later with friends using the board. I also get the children to act out the stories with a few props/outfits, usually with a TA. We encourage the children to speak in an appropriate way (e.g. in mean way as an ugly sister). They sometimes perform it to a small group too. We have puppets for many fairy stories, and adapt puppets to act out others. We have visiting wolves, etc. (TA with blanket over head) for the children to talk to. The children have made folding stories (drawn and scribed by adult). We use tapes t listent the story. I have used spme photocopied pages to sequence parts of the story.

Marie

Hi Matilda

Try hot seating a character from the story, you model it first. Pretend to be Little Red riding hood, put on a red scarf or shawl and sit on a chair in the circle, group. Ask your TA to ask you some questions from the story (ieWhat was in your basket that you were taking to grandmas? Why couldn't your mum take you to grandmas? )and you answer them as red riding hood.

Take this on by asking a child to be character and getting children to ask questions.

Follow that on by shared writing as you model writing questions on whiteboard.

Follow that with guided writing as children have a go at writing questions. Follow that with them reading their questions during another hot seating session and you have covered reading, writing and speaking and listening.

It's fun to do, the children love it as it is reading and writing for a purpose.

Trudiex

Edited by Trudie

Thanks so much for all your help. I think the role play ideas will be really good for my chn as speaking and listening is a big issue at my school.

A special thanks to Beckyann, your plan was really helpful, many thanks for sharing. :)

Hi!

Am also doing fairy tales and traditional stories this term - a lovely shared writing activity on the whiteboard when children are familier with the story is to have the story beginning on a few pages - we did this with the Gingerbread Man - and when it gets to the part where he runs away - followed by blank pages! Children have amazing ideas to continue the story and really good activity on so many levels - CD - imagination, CLL - writing and beginning, middle and end - when are rather amazing version was complete i printed it out and put in the book corner - children love rereading it! have repeated activity with all traditional tales covered!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)