Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Pe In Winter

This year, because of PPA in our school being covered through drama, dance and music lessons, the school hall use is more rationned for PE than in previous years. All classes have been timetabled one hall PE slot and one outdoor one.

Since the weather has got cold I have decided to take my children onto the playground in school clothes and shoes with coats on to do a variety of games. We usually start with some type of warming up activity, then may go onto something like small apparatus (throwing and catching, balancing bean bags on parts of your body, using hoops, skipping ropes and so on). Lessons have been varied to have children working individually, in pairs and in small groups.

Most children seem to have enjoyed the sessions. A few are a bit reluctant to join in. Some complain about the cold though not many.

What are the rest of you doing at this time of the year? Does what I have been doing sound OK to you? If I'm sounding paranoid, I probably am! Head teacher and County Early Years Advisor doing an observation tomorrow afternoon and one of the things happening is this slot. I supposed I am concerned that there may be criticism in terms of children not having much free choice in the session :o , the fact that they are not changing for PE (my thoughts on this are that they run around on the playground at playtime in uniform and coats and that this is not vastly different).

All thoughts and inspiring ideas very welcome :)

Angela

I use the outside as much as possible in the winter but the children always have their coats on . I have a fun bag which contains 4 of each item balls bean creatures treasures quiots ropes scarves. After the warm up just as inside we have a focused activity perhaps throwing and catching with one thing e.g a basket of treasures and then the children choose an item from the bag and do the same foucus then change.

use outside for all areas of curriculmn but in the winter it needs to be very physical to keep warm. also have macs anf water proof trousers so can go out in rainy weather to did a lovely activity last week Focus was prepositions but we used umbrella's as sound of the week was U

Hope this helps ( can you tell me how to post an enquiry)

:oxD:(

We use the outdoor area whatever the weather everyday and all day and never get complaints about the cold . Our PE lessons arent at all formal and may be ring games dance or using apparatus freely. We have a large bag with things like bean bags different sized balls bats stilts balance boards etc that the children are free to use whenever they wish. The only item we restrict access to is the trampoline which can only be used with adult supervision.

Hi, I think I would check that all footwear is suitable ie no heels for girls etc and encourage them to change into plimsolls although these are not the best fitting footwear! Could you encourage children to bring in trainers, if you have a timetabled outdoor slot?

I worked in a school where it contravened health and safety for children to wear normal footwear on Sports Day, although as you mention it is ok for them at playtimes!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)