Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Job Interview!

Hi!

I have been offered a job interview for a mangerial position at a small community pre-school. I've never applied for this sort of job before but with all the trouble I've been having recently, decided to go for it.

I was just wondering if anyone could offer me any tips or advice that I can use to improve my chances? I really, really want this job as it fits in with my daughter and partner so if anyone can help me, I will be really grateful!!

Thanks in anticipation! :D

Clare

There is a really good article which you can find just here. It may be useful to have a read through of that first and if you still feel you need advice come back and ask.

Linda

Thanks Linda

This website really is excellent and I'm still learning different things from it! I have copied the article and shall read it with vigour!

Thanks again, Clare

First I'd like to say good luck with the interview. :D

As an employer, I try hard to offer my staff a work/life balance, especially as the majority of my staff have school age children. However, I have found over the past year or two that interviewees have said, yes, I can do such and such hours only to want to change them to enable them to drop off or pick-up their own children from school.

Because they haven't stated their prefered "real" work/life balance hours at interview, and then say they need hours to change once they have started, really causes a lot of reshuffling of staff hours and resentment from staff. We all try to understand that all parents (staff) want to be involved in their childs school life, and the needs of the preschool to have staff before school and after school hours.

Basically my waffle is saying, be honest up front about what are the realistic hours you want to work to fit in with your children and husband.

Peggy

I'd second that one, Peggy. It might be worth bearing in mind that there's often less room for flexibility for those in managerial positions - they're the ones who often have to be able to stay late when no-one else can, etc.

Honesty, willingness to learn, awareness of own strengths & weaknesses, and child-centredness would go a long way with me. Also awareness of things like team dynamics and leadership styles, including what yours is.

All the best for the interview - let us know how it goes!

Just to let you all know that I went for my interview this morning and I think it went quite well. I was asked all sorts of questions about what I would do in certain situations and the lady seemed quite pleased. She showed me around the place and asked me when I would be able to start, so I think that it was good!

She said she would let me know by the end of the week, so as soon as I know, I will let you all know how it went! Thanks for all your comments and advice!

Clare

Ok, you can all uncross those fingers toes,etc because.....

I GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I am now officially a pre-school manager! Never imagined I'd be saying that for a few years yet!

Would just like to say thank you to you all for your kind words and best wishes. I'm a bit nervous but very, very excited!

Thanks again! :D

Clare

Congratulations! Crack open a bottle and just wallow!!! you clever girl. You will be brill and of course there's everyone on the forum to lend a hand if you need it!