Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Handwriting

At what age/year to people introdcue joined writing??? At present we don't introduce until Y2, but we are considering lowering it. I know some children join from FS.

Would love to hear what other people do!

In the nursery I encourage children to put tails on letters, such as 'a' & 'd' for the purpose of joining later. I haven't done joined up until Y2 in classes I have worked in.

teach the children the cursive letter forms that they will see in school as children do need to know how to write each indiviual letter. Start with joining the childrens names and encourage them to trace and copy.

Contiune to provide plenty of fine and gross motor activities.

The Cripps " hand for Spelling" encourages writing for writing to be joined and writing for reading to be printed. Works quite well.

Guest tinkerbell

I think this will be under review at my school.Only today my headteacher said that she and I are the only ones in school who do decent writing as models for the children.She is retiring in summer so thinks it should be brought up in the next staff meeting.We do Nelson handwriting and join in Yr2.I was wondering about the cursive (loopy) hand where they start in Reception.

I have seen the Cripps that Susan mentioned ,I used this with my own son who is dyslexic and the spellings are linked to the handwriting which is good.

Tinkerbellx

Having now seen your subsequent post, I would say that joining would be a good move forward. The cursive, from the line, script is gaining poularity and is supposed to be particularly good for dyslexics. We have a school near us who had beacon status for their handwriting and their results were impressive 100% level3 at KS1.

We introduce cursive writing in Y1 and have invested in a scheme called pen pals (though I don't know how rigorously staff follow it). It has handwriting workbooks and CDROM.

Cursive writing was introduced in Reception year for both my children. Their handwriting was a mess until years 2 or 3, when it suddenly came right.

We start joined up handwriting in Reception - from last Sepetmber. At least half the class can write both their names in the joined up style - I am amazed!

The Nursery start with flicks on the letters. Year 1 and 2 children all have joined up writing.

We have made more progress with children's writing in Reception since letters have been joined, and they find learning digraphs, etc easier to learn as two letters are joined that make one sound.

Cursive writing was introduced in Reception year for both my children. Their handwriting was a mess until years 2 or 3, when it suddenly came right.

49702[/snapback]

maybe because they werent ready until those years?!

Thank you for all your replies and support. I don't think anything has ben decided about handwriting - the only answer we get is to wait and see what the new head says when she starts at Easter. I feel thats a bit of a cop-out as if our standards need to improve then we need to start stright away. But ho-hum!!!!

Hi there,

My practice is the same as Beckyann's with similar results. Also was amazed at how children managed it and its help with learning digraphs. :)

Angela

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)