Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children Do The Funniest Things

One thing that keeps me in the job is the wonderful characters there are among the children.

We had one little boy a few years ago who loved wheelie bins and dustbin lorries - he used to come in every day wearing his fluorescent jacket and thick gloves and drag the chairs around the room behind him as if they were wheelie bins. He knew all the different makes of skips and dustbin lorries. :o

Just now we have a little girl pretends she is a dog - all of the time!! She woofs at us, crawls around the room on all fours (with her shoes off) and offers us her paw. She often says she can't do the activity we'd like her to try because the claws get in the way! The other children can include her in their pretend play though- they are the mummies, daddies and big sisters etc and she is always happy to be the dog! This is progress - when she started at our preschool she spent the first term sitting under the table!!!

I wonder what characters you have in your setting?

Carolyn

Carolyn,

My daughter used to be a variety of animals when she was 2/3yrs. Rosa the cat (from Fireman Sam and I had to be Bella and speak in an Italian accent :o ), a horse whose name escapes me and her favourite was Molly the dog. The playgroup she went to had a problem because her paws prevented her from tidying up at the end. xD She spent most of her time crawling around on all fours barking and whining. She even used to curl up in our dog basket at home, much to our dog's annoyance. :D

we have a child who is obsessed with street lamps! :o He has a collection of toy ones that he brings in, and he is always talking about them. He gets so excited when he notices one in the local area!

We have a little boy who likes to pretend he's a dog, only when he's playing in the home corner though, he even whines when the children are sitting at the table in the home corner until they put a bowl on the floor and pretend to fill it with water for him and recently we had a little boy who constantly pretended to be the incredible hulk, every time he moved to another part of the room he would walk with his arms in the air going grrrrrrr, we had to keep complimenting him on his extra strong arm muscles :o

the best excuse i've had for trying to get out of tidying up is when a little girl said she couldn't do it because she had too many chips at McDonald's the other week - wonder if i could use that excuse with my boss xD