Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Incubating Eggs

This year I am incubating chicken eggs for the first time, they went in last wednesday (with some water in the bottom for humidity), then they weren't checked properly until this morning, due to me being absent at the end of last week. When I checked them, the water had dried up, and has probably been dry since thursday or friday....

Not being an expert or 'eggspert' :), i don't know the implications of this lack of water for a few days, does it mean they might not hatch? I would welcome any advice from someone who has done this before!!!!

bb

This year I am incubating chicken eggs for the first time, they went in last wednesday (with some water in the bottom for humidity), then they weren't checked properly until this morning, due to me being absent at the end of last week.  When I checked them, the water had dried up, and has probably been dry since thursday or friday....

Not being an expert or 'eggspert'  :), i don't know the implications of this lack of water for a few days, does it mean they might not hatch?  I would welcome any advice from someone who has done this before!!!!

bb

49382[/snapback]

Hi I have incubated eggs lots of times although I always have had the help of an expert (father or grandfather of some of the children)I have had successful hatches but also unsuccessful when conditions arent exactly right.I think if humidity is not right then the growing chick gets dry inside the egg and it can hamper development .Please dont take my word for it but Im pretty sure things like temperature and humidity have to be fairky precise.Do you have anyone to advise .If not I could ask at school tomorrow. Crestacat :)

thank you for moving the post, how do you do that, i wanted to do it because i knew as soon as i had posted that is was in the wrong bit!!!!!

Have spoken to a very knowledgeable farmer this morning who thinks that the chicks might still be ok, so am keeping everything crossed and will have to wait and see!!!!!

Cheers

bb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)