Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Moderation

I am attending a moderation meeting this week and was wondering what to expect. I am an NQT and have to bring evidence of Physical and Mathematical development.

I am really worried that I haven't collected enough evidence. Am I supposed to have evidence for each point? What type of evidence should I bring? How much evidence is enough for one point? I have been told that people bring stacks of stuff. :o

Will be totally exhausted by the time I go on the course as I don't seem to be sleeping with worry. Apologies for all the questions.

Don't worry so much-others will be just as concerned/confused as you. It's only to make sure everyone's thinking along the same lines.

We choose 3 children to observe closely- an average, above and below. For each point we think they've achieved we try to have 3 examples-observations, photographs, pieces of work or whatever's available. If others at the table agrre with our assessments, they sign a little docket to say so. All evidence then goes into a portfolio for others in school to see what 'a point 6' looks like etc and for when school is visited for external moderation-our turn again this year.

It's not worth losing sleep over! Best of luck

Jan

Thanks Jan, I am feeling a little less stressed than I was before. I now know I need to devote more time to collecting evidence. Love to hear how much time others spend doing observations each week. Do other people always timetable a 'floater' to support child initiated play and to make observations? This is where I think i have been going wrong.

I was moderated last year and told I had too MUCH evidence and all I needed was 3 pieces for each statement. these could be samples of work annotated photos or even post it not type observations. Did they tell you which statements they would be looking at as my LEA gave us a list of about 6 statements in total (meaning I only needs 18 pieces of evidence)

Unfortunately they haven't told me any particular points, only that I need to bring evidence for Maths and Physical. I haven't got three pieces though, I must admit I didn't know you had to have three pieces for each point - Whoops!

You DO NOT or SHOULD NOT need to produce 3 pieces of evidence for every point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are asked to take along evidence to support our judgements for an above average, average and below average. Last year at our moderation meeting most importance was placed on observational evidence from child-inititated work but we have since been told that other evidence - assessments from group work, teacher directed activities are acceptable too. You can also use class observations, photos, children's OWN comments on their learning, videos(!!) tape recordings... and, of course ...

YOUR OWN PROFESSIONAL JUDGEMENT

Please, I beg you, don't go down the route of 3 peices of evidence for every point - do the maths there are 117 profile points (I think) x 30 children in your class x 3 - you are talking thousands!!! (I still think it is too much just for 3 children and 4 scale points - 1 for PD and 3 for MD)

Most importantly, don't worry we are all in the same boat.

I'm with you on that one, Bungalow!

At our recent moderation meeting most people had NO evidence as such for PD!!! I took along a few photos (don't really tell you much) plus some annotated tick lists as evidence from PE lessons. I most certainly don't have 3 pieces of evidence per profile point per child :o

You DO NOT or SHOULD NOT need to produce 3 pieces of evidence for every point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are asked to take along evidence to support our judgements for an above average, average and below average.    Last year at our moderation meeting most importance was placed on observational evidence from child-inititated work but we have since been told that other evidence - assessments from group work, teacher directed activities are acceptable too.  You can also use class observations, photos, children's OWN comments on their learning, videos(!!) tape recordings...  and, of course ...

YOUR OWN PROFESSIONAL JUDGEMENT

Please, I beg you, don't go down the route of 3 peices of evidence for every point - do the maths there are 117 profile points (I think) x 30 children in your class x 3 - you are talking thousands!!!  (I still think it is too much just for 3 children and 4 scale points - 1 for PD and 3 for MD)

Most importantly, don't worry we are all in the same boat.

49346[/snapback]

Sorry if I caused misunderstanding we were asked to take along 3 pieces of evidence for 6 statements that were being moderated (think it was 4 CCL and 2 CD) NOT for every statement and NOT 3 for each child. So for a class of 30 I would be expected to produce 3 pieces of evidence NOT 30

I had been keeping a piece of evidence for each statement for each child previously so this reduced my workload by a tenth.

Edited by MARl0N

I should add most of the evidence was informal observations which they seemed quite happy with.

Also the evidence I produced goes into a portfollio which is kept and does not have to be reproduced in subsequent years for other classes.

Sarah posted these great dividers for all the profile points which can be used to create your file

http://www.foundation-stage.info/forums/in...indpost&p=36622

Edited by MARl0N

Just wanted to say thanks for your comments. Had the moderation meeting today and I need not have worried at all. All those sleepless nights for nothing - why do I do it to myself. :o

Hmmm, words of wisdom! Well, they did say that you could have one observation for a point as long as you knew that something wasn't a one off and you would be just as likely to see the child do the same thing the next day. They did say teacher judgement is fine and that you won't have evidence for each point - pheww!

We talked about one more or less because as one advisor said it does say OR not AND so the point could be given if they could say just one more than. However, they should have an understanding of the concept of 'less'. She did she this was to be discussed with your school and agreed with them. Hope that makes sense. :o

Thats very interesting about the one less/more comment made during your moderation.

As a moderator for the FSP this year. In the guidance we have received, you should only give the children that point if they have demonstrated that they understand both more and less.

It just proves that there is inconsitent information across the country.

That's very interesting Verityn, as you would think there should be an agreement country wide to ensure we are all doing the same thing. I must admit I assumed it meant they had to know both, before I went to the meeting, so wouldn't have awarded the point.

Thats the approah I have taken when scoring this point too, verityn. Most children understand more and can find 1 more but although they may understand they have less sweets because their friend has more, actually understanding 1less is much more difficult.

Glad it all went ok, Matilda. Any words of wisdom to share??

Marion, do you keep portfolios for every child?

49568[/snapback]

No we keep one portfolio as we were given to believe that the moderation process is NOT to check on the children but that teachers are being consistant in their assessment. Therefore I am expected to cover a limited number of statements each year and add these to the portfolio.

Just found the info on our LEA website for this years moderation meeting

The statements that will be the focus of both moderation visits and moderation meetings, during the school year 2005-2006, are as follows:

Mathematical Development

Numbers as Labels and for Counting

6. Counts reliably up to 10 everyday objects.

Calculating

8. Uses developing mathematical ideas and methods to solve practical problems.

Shape, space and measures

4. Talks about, recognises and recreates simple patterns.

Physical development

2. Moves with confidence in a variety of ways, showing some awareness of space.

7. Handles tools, objects, construction and malleable materials safely and with basic control.

Practitioners are expected to be able to discuss two or three different observations or pieces of evidence that led them to make their judgements about one child for each of these five statements. It can be a different child for each statement

Edited by MARl0N

Thanks, thats really interesting. The profile handbook suggests that evidence for each child is not necessary but in my old LEA we were encouraged to make individual portfolios which is a very heavy workload---although you would of course need evidence of some sort to substantiate your decision.

Any chance you could tell me the other statements that you have focused on, please?

I was previously keeping a file for each child but the LEA advisor told me this was far too much (as if I didnt know) I will have to check my files at school but last year we focused on 4 CCL statements and 2 CD statements the previous year we looked mainly at PSE

the idea is to build the portfolio up over a period of time coving all statements rather than produce proof for everything in one go.

Hi Susan

Have found the info for last year but havent hunted out the previous year (we became a FSU in September and lots of things got moved or lost :o ) will keep looking

For the attention of staff responsible for the Foundation Stage Profile: Audit Moderation School Year 2004 – 2005

The statements that will be the focus of both moderation visits and moderation meetings, during the school year 2004 – 2005, are as follows:

Communication, language and literacy

Language for communication and thinking

3. Talks activities through, reflecting on and modifying actions.

Linking sounds and letters

4. Across a range of activities, the child is able to name and sound letters of the alphabet, and can recognise almost all of them.

Reading

7. Retells narratives in the correct sequence, drawing on language patterns of stories.

Writing

6. Attempts writing for a variety of purposes, using different forms.

Creative development

5. Explores, colour, texture, shape, form and space in two or three dimensions.

Practitioners are expected to be able to discuss two or three different observations or pieces of evidence that led them to make their judgements about one child for each of these five statements. It can be a different child for each statement.

Further information about the schools to be moderated 2004 to 2005, dates and venues for moderation meetings and samples of evidence forms will follow later this term but the moderation team felt it was important to give you this information as soon as possible

Marion what a sensible idea your LEA had! This really makes the workload more managable and over time I can see how a nice portfolio is built up.

We are goint to Moderation in July and will have to consider our evidence for all the points to do with PD and MD.

What a shame we can't all do the same nationwide.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)