Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I'm Being Observed! Help!

I am being observed by our head teacher and was thinking of going along the line of helping Mr Crocodile plan his picnic. Does anyone have any good ideas for activities other than making invitations, sandwiches or so on. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY BRILLIANT LESSONS THAT YOU COULD RECOMMEND OTHER THAN THIS?. I get so nervous about observations...

I think we need a bit more info - what are they observing in particular and what area of the curriculum are you teaching. You idea sounds good but if you give us a bit more we may be able to help.

Hi Emmaed,

Just a few questions, what age group are you teaching, what is your current topic, have you got any activities already outlined in your medium term planning?

Helen

p.s. Emmaed, I know it's easy to say but don't get too worked up about being observed, be your normal self around your children, remember they pick up on your vibes and if you're relaxed, they will be too.

Observations are good things, they can only help us progress.......I sound like my mother!!

Good luck

Edited by Guest

Thank you. I am teaching Reception and a morning session. So I was planning to Read the story of Mr Crocodile's picnic and then show the children mr Croc's empty picnic basket and a plea for their help, Then I was going to get them to brainstormwhat we need to do... invite friends, prepare food, plan where we are having it. Then activities- make sandwiches, share biscuitss, make invites, write list of people to invite, make playdough foods and so on...? Its just a general obs OFSTED-stylie!

Hi Emma,

I think that sounds like a really nice idea. It'll appeal to the children and generate lots of language, interaction etc and they will be very actively involved. In terms of the activities I'd just probably say don't plan too many for the observation because you need to keep it simple. Some of the activites you mentioned clearly need adult support so depending on your adult numbers you will have to work out which can be done independently. They all sound like fun ideas though.

Good luck with it. My head is observing me tomorrow so I know how you feel!!!

Your ideas sound really motivating. As Emmajane says, don't try to over -stretch yourself by planning too many different things that need support. Go with what you normally do. I don't know the story (but I'll look out for it) but you could do the rhyme in numeracy - to tie in -

5 cheeky monkey's swinging in a tree,

Teasing Mr. Crocodile, 'You can't catch me'

Then along came Mr. Crocdile - Oh dear me!'

4 cheeky monkey's ......

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)