Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wormery

I'd really like to make a wormery with the children as one of our Welly Wednesday activities. I've got a huge sweet jar do we just fill it with soil, leaves and of course worms and just let them get on with it? :D

I am not sure - but I do know that insect lore have a wormery that you can purchase to set you off (along with all other kinds of things too)

I have usually done butterflies from them and they have almost always been successful.

regards M x

When my son made a wormery we filled a jar with a layer of soil, layer of sand and layer of leaves and repeated until it was 3/4 full. Then made a few starter holes with a stick, add worms and hey presto!

They prefer the dark, so make a black covering which is easy to take off and on of the jar. Black paper is fine No need for a lid as such as worms apparently won't climb out (but we had a lid with air holes on ours as it was kept inside - just in case!) Hope this helps

Jo

We made one a long time ago with a layer of soil, a layer of sand, another layer of soil and another layer of sand with leaves on the top, the children could see the trail that the worms made in the sand which was great.

Good luck with it, I'm sure you will have fun, especially when it comes to digging for the worms :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)