Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hi,

I came across the profile document that had been put into a table on two pages ready to print and laminate for use in the classroom but I can't seem to find it now. I want to give them to all my staff so we can all have our own attached to our clipboards. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Thanks for those Peggy, not what I'm looking for but very helpful to me anyway.

The sheets I am looking for are simply the profile points under each area of learning but on a simple two sheet spread. Would type out myself but know I got them from here some time ago so thought I'd save myself time. Note to self - save helpful documents! :o

Don't know if it's at all helpful but I've done the profile, very small, on 1 sheet of paper. I did it because I was fed up of duplicating my assessments into the FSP booklet. I use my format as a summative assessment and all my formative assessments/examples of what children have done are in my assessment file.

Foundation_Stage_Profile.doc

Edited by Guest

I like this one too Moose. I'm going to do one for each child and highlight when I'm sure they've achieved. I should give at 'at a glance' prompt for what still needs to be worked on.

Thanks, Harricroft

Thanks too!

I use one like Moose's which I think I found here. Will try and send it in tomorrow if I've kept an electronic copy (aaagh!). Harricroft I have adopted your idea but come in for criticism on a County review. We highlight ours using different colours during each term eg green autumn, pink spring etc. I was told the profile should only be used as a summative snapshot at the year end and that by doing what I was doing it made it formative. I pointed out that we use stepping stones and early learning goals to plan learning objectives and to highlight areas that we are assessing in teacher led activities and to focus our next steps on when doing tracking observations. It still didn't rub. I was told we should highlight stepping stones and ELGs over year and only complete profile at the end. I'm concerned about time taken, duplication of effort etc. Am I completely in the wrong? Help!

Angela

Hi AOB. What you do is exactly what I do! I highlight a point when I'm happy that a child has achieved it. I use the colours that they do in the FSP booklet: orange for the (what used to be) autumn term, blue for the spring and green for the summer.

I am stunned by your post and am muttering darkly, invoking curses etc - NOT at you I hasten to add! :)

Are they really suggesting that you wait until the end of the year before you fill in the profile? I know precious little but where on earth have they got that idea? What is the point? Why does summative assessment have to wait until the end of the year? You'd have to go back and look up all the dates to see when to mark things off! Again - what is the point?! Of course, we all have loads of time at the end of the year don't we - reports, sports day, getting stuff ready for our new classes...filling in a whole profile from scratch at the same time would be a piece of cake... xD

Even if using the profile this way is formative surely that can be argued to be a good thing as it lets you see where a child/group of children have 'gaps' and then you can plan to meet their needs, drawing from the ELGs. Isn't that good practice?

I have lots of other things I could/want to write but fear that they are not suitable and that I might be barred from the forum - I'd never survive! :o

You have my heartfelt sympathies and, not that it will be any consolation, if you're wrong so am I. I'm now going to go and eat copious amounts of chocolate and will be sending you telepathic chocolate-coated sympathy and best wishes while I do it!

Moose x

Edited by Guest

I'm so cross! I had turned off the computer and was going to go to bed but I couldn't stop thinking about it so I've got out my FSP handbook and, I quote,

'The Profile...can be completed periodically throughout the year, using the evidence from ongoing assessment, to record the achievement of particular items in the scales.' (p.3)

It then goes on to say that assessments should be FINALISED during the summer term and I don't think that that's the same as completed/carried out/undertaken.

So there!

I'm just climbing down off my soapbox and really am going to go to bed. :o

Sorry to go on but I lay awake with indigestion (it was either moral outrage or too many mini-eggs that caused it :o ) and have come stomping back downstairs to gather further 'evidence'.

The profile in itself isn't compulsory is it? Again on p. 3 it says,

'Schools may choose to use their own recording systems based on the early learning goals'

To my mind that suggests that if we choose to use the profile it's up to us HOW we use it.

Right, now I'm going to see if some more mini-eggs will sort out my indigestion xD

Moose, you are right!

What a shame that there seem to be so many misconceptions / misunderstandings still.

The only compulsory thing is to submit the data at the end of reception year, as you say, use of the profile booklet is optional and the eprofile certainly sounds more useful although I have not seen that. It would seem sensible to be recording somehow against the profile scales to show progress of the individual and of the group as a whole.

As a supply teacher, I have worked in a nursery where they were recording in the booklets in FS1 and in a reception classroom where the booklets where compiled at end of summer term for moderation!

Moose,

Thanks so much for all of that. Sometimes you start to think you are going mad. I find it hard to think on the spot and have the answers ready to fire back at them. I'm expecting a meeting with the Early Years Advisor soon and am sure this will all come up again then. At least now I won't feel alone, will quote the notes from the profile advice and the fact that the forum gives evidence that not all schools are doing what I am being told I should.

I'm so glad I decided to check out the forum the other evening. It is always so helpful to bounce thoughts and ideas off other people dealing with similar issues. :)

Thanks to Susan too. On the eprofile, West Sussex have sent out a CD with 2 tracking documents the profile and Stepping Stones/Early Learning Goals. The suggestion is we use the latter for formative assessments etc I tried to enter data into it and so far haven't managed to get it to work. Must be very thick! :o Is anyone else using it or similar? I can see that being able to produce comparative data at the touch of a key and graphs to illustrate management reports etc would be considered an attractive prospect in some cases. My worry is that although it may be easy to enter the data, clicking on a cell or entering a date, I would only be able to access the records on a computer. At present using a paper based system means any member of the team can pick it up and do a little updating at any convenient point in the day, needing lap top/pc to do this is an added complication. Also last year my class computer crashed and I lost lots of data. My own fault in a sense for not backing everything up assiduously but nonetheless another worry about e-systems.

Any thoughts anyone?

Angela

Angela

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)