Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Integrated Nursery And Reception Provision

Hi everyone,

After the first day back from half-term and nursing a very big headache I am questioning the planning and organisation of our foundation stage. I work within a team of five and we plan for separate english and maths for the nursery and reception, however, we are trying to integrate the children in the afternoon sessions. I am just not sure.... I have read the article on integrated provision as posted on this site, but I am still very confused. Not a good feeling when I am supposed to be the leader of the foundation stage!!!

Thanks,

Caroline

Hi Caroline, sorry you feel like that!

My only recent experience is of pure Reception but I am about to do some supply in a school where the nursery and reception are integrated---but in the morning! The current supply teacher has found it quite difficult to keep on track and I am about to job share with her 2 days a week. This time next week I may be better informed!

I know the morning session starts and ends in class groups so the children work together for about an hour and a half. In the afternoon Reception

stay within their class groups and work with their teacher.

I know the others on the forum who work in units found plenty of teething problems--have you looked at their posts within the foundation stage unit section? How long have you been working like this?

I am sure that you neeed to have all your staff supporting what you are doing--I tried to integrate 3 large reception classes but it failed as several ofthe staff did not understand or like what was being asked of them. In hindsight we also needed a much more fluent method of working and I am sure some of the high scope rationale would have helped!

Good luck.

I lead a foundation unit and will try to explain what we do

We have seperate registers then a short group time in F1 and F2 seperately

We plan for literacy and numeracy for the two seperate groups and deliver it within the two rooms. but if other children join we just record their effort

After the grouptime the children are free to access all areas and all the focus activities are planned to allow differentiation across the full foundation range

Not sure if this will be clear as just returned from a meal - Times offer of meal for £10 and very nice it was too.

Thank you for your replies. The foundation stage was set-up in September 2004, but I took over in September 2005. I would be grateful to look at any planning available. I will also look at other postings on foundation stage units.

Caroline

Hi

We have been a Foundation Stage Unit since Sptember 2005 (so are still evolving our practice)

We have seperate registers then a short group time in F1 and F2 seperately

We plan for literacy and numeracy for two seperate groups (by ability not by age) We have a literacy based room and a numeracy based room so while one group has numeracy the other group has literacy. We target groups for these activities but other children are free to join in we just record their effort

After the grouptime the children are free to access all areas and all the focus activities are planned to allow differentiation across the full foundation range

At the end of the session the children seperate into 2 groups mixed age (free choice) for story songs etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)