Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maths Observation

Hi Everyone,

I have a lesson observation coming up and the head wants to observe MD and the children doing counting: numbers as labels and for counting. I have children in my class who started in September but also have children who have only been in school half a term. I also would like to use the outdoor learning environment: was thinking along the lines of a treasure hunt kind of activity.

Can anyone help with some suggestions and activities please?

Thank you

Mel C

:):):):):):):):):):):):)

What about finding animals or something like in the sand-either indoors or out? So finding 10 animals and counting them or perhaps animals numbered 1-10. We did an activity recently where we buried laminated pictures of acorns in bark in our tough spot. We had a laminated picture of a squirrel and the children had to find the acorns and feed them to Mr. Squirrel. One set of acorns had numbers on for the older children and the others were blank for the younger ones.

Linda

Very simple one for sand - bury laminated or wooden numbers in the sand. Children have to find them and then put them in number order. You can question them as they're doing this - which numbers are still missing. Also, as Linda says, finding things in the sand and putting on tray with corresponding numeral - even better if you can tie this in with your topic. I'm doing growing, so I might ask the children to put the correct number of 'seeds/bulbs' (dried peas) into the numbered pots. They could then line all the pots in order, or you could ask questions 'Can you find me a pot with more/less than this one.'

Hope these are useful.

Harricroft

Sequencing spot cards on a washing line.

Fishing for and counting objects in the water tray - we sometimes use plastic chain links and make them into different length chains for counting and sequencing.

Big dice game outside (use chalk number line if necessary)

Skittles

Thank you for your quick replies, I like the idea of digging for objects in the sand. I have thought I would get my TA to hide bags of treasure around the outdoor area for the children to find. They can then count the number of treasure and put the number card onto the bag and then order. This would be main activity in the outdoor learning environment. I also thought I could mix groups so that the older children can support the younger children.

What do you think?

Mel C

:)

Just had another thought. Was wondering if I should use a story to introduce the lesson and provide a context for the counting activities. But if so, which story? Brain is completely dead and needs your help p-l-e-a-s-e.

Thanks in anticipation

Mel C

:D

Your idea sounds lovely, I did a number Gingerbread Man hunt outside last week and the children enjoyed it. The children went around with clipboards and tried to find the hidden Gingerbread Men. They put a smiley face next to the number when they had found it.

Not sure what your topic is but you could use the Hungry Caterpillar and have pictures of the different food items in your bag.

Gingerbread_man_number_hunt.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)