Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fairy Tales

Just wondered if there were any useful ideas for our Fairy Tales topic we are doing after half term? Does anyone have any plans/ resources they could post or recommend? That would be very helpful.

Thanks

Sorry don't have any plans but we did prince and princesses before Christmas which was very popular.

We chose a different fairy tale each week, we built a castle out of cardboard boxes and painted it pink! Anybody who passes Honiton on their holidays will know the pink castle (well gatehouse really).

Children really enjoyed the song 'there was a princess long ago'. great in a circle with lots of role play and actions. We also adapted it for our Christmas play.

If I think of anything else will let you know.

Deb

We are doing a week of fairytales for World Book Day some ideas so far

goldilocks - ordering by size

sorting matching activities

make porridge

PSE right and wrong

sing When Goldilocks came to the house of the bears / Three Bear rap

Jack & the beanstalk

language of size MD

current plan is to leave a huge boot outside for the children to discover discuss who it might belong to draw pictures then add other clues to the story (luckily we have a daisy the cow even if she is made of wood) imaginative writting accounts etc CLL

plant beans KUW

take giant steps

climb the beanstalk PD

discuss Jack taking the giants belongings PSE

build giants castle in block play area

Three little pigs

make houses from different materials

Billy Goats Gruff

test bridges

Nick Sharratt and Stephen Tucker have produced a lovely set of books all in rhyme offering a slight twist on the traditional tale

We are also sequencing stories and retelling using puppets and role play

Wow! Thanks Moose and Marion, great ideas. Moose those plans are great - I can really get to grips with this now, although I'm a bit worried now about my lack of detail in my own planning. Where do you put the Literacy activities for later on in the day? Do they go on the other plan? Where do you get the time to do all these, they're amazing!!

Marion - fab ideas for World Book Day week, thanks. You are all really helpful.

Viki

Hi Viki,

All my class are in in the morning. The summer borns go home at dinner time. I cover my whole class literacy aspects (drawing my learning intentions from CLL in Curriculum Guidance..., cross-referenced to the objectives in the NLS) in the morning as this tends to form the basis of my topic work. In the afternoon, with the children that remain, we do whole class work, again based around our focus for the week. This may or may not be an element of literacy.

Please don't feel freaked by my plans. I have only been teaching for 4 years so am still at the stage where I need to know exactly what I am doing. Plus I'm not naturally spontaneous so can't think of things off the top of my head and also I am slightly (very :o) obsessive!

If it's any consolation I spend the majority of my time on this site looking at other people's plans and hyperventilating.

It's a case of 'what works for you' isn't it? Easy for me to write but much, much harder for me to actually get into my thick head! xD

I'm glad the plans are useful

Moose x

Sorry don't have any plans but we did prince and princesses before Christmas which was very popular.

We chose a different fairy tale each week, we built a castle out of cardboard boxes and painted it pink! Anybody who passes Honiton on their holidays will know the pink castle (well gatehouse really).

Children really enjoyed the song 'there was a princess long ago'. great in a circle with lots of role play and actions. We also adapted it for our Christmas play.

If I think of anything else will let you know.

Deb

THANKS DEB - that pink castle sounds fab, lovely idea!!

Viki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)