Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Old And New

Guest Really

This is my topic for next half term and am trying to think of a role play area idea. I have thought of a museum but not quite sure how to do it etc... Any suggestions or ideas please?

Hi

I've never done a museum yet but...

You could follow a theme like:

victorian exhibition

Portraits from 1800's, etc

Children make their own museum exhibits like lanterns, tankards, carpenters tools, etc.

Children could do catalogues of what is in the museum, adverts, posters, descriptons and info about artefacts, guided tour taped, or video of tour - show on the whiteboard, instructions for staff, rotas for staff, write guided tours, valuations,

Structured play:

the first day, theft of an artefact, spring clean, new objects, combine Antique roadshow visit with valuations, a new exhibition, open day, a school visits or a class, etc

You could invite someone in from a local museum

Hope this might help.

Guest Miss Molly

Keep it simple. Shops are excellent role-play areas. The items inside can determine the theme. You could begin a collection of old and new toys etc which could be displayed in the shop. There could be specific labelled shelves where they are kept (sorting old/new during play). You could take this further by adding prompt questions to encourage the children to notice features of the items e.g batteries, motor, wind-up etc. Of course there is an obvious link to maths, counting pennies too. You could encourage the children to make their own labels for the toy name/prices etc (CLL). Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought of a toy shop too, but was worried old toys may get damaged as they would probably come from parents. My other idea was a shoe shop - old and new shoes, or a jumble sale - old and new things.

Any more ideas would be great!

Thanks

Nothing really springs to mind although I am having a bit of glitch in my creative thinking as I am trying to design my People and Places topic - normally quite good but creative juices have just dried up completely. so any suggestions would be good.

What about staff v children - fairly old and new!!!!! Foods might be a good area - spam!!! Perhaps you could do food during the war along with toys, Aeroplanes and cars or transport in general might be good as they are quite distinctive. But apart from that am drawing a blank so not sure why I am writing this - so I'll go,

Nikki

Thanks for joining in though Nikki!

I have decided to make a museum. I have been round the charity shops today and bought a few old looking toys, LPs and singles. I have bought some little plastic bugs and put them in small plastic dishes and have just bought an old doll off ebay and some coins. I have also printed some old portraits on my A3 printer, will laminate and use as a gallery. I thought I would add a coffee shop to my musuem too. The children can then make all the signs/tickets/leaflets etc.... Thanks all for the inspiration!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)