Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning Again!

How many plans do you complete for the week?

I currently do a

literacy weekly plan

numeracy weekly plan

a weekly timetable

continuious provision plan

Im unsure if this is right or too many, I would welcome other peoples views

thank you for the quick reply

which plan do you include your outdoor activities on? im thinking of creating another plan just for outdoors.

I have these plans:

literacy

numeracy

weekly timetable

learning environment

My outdoor activities go on my learning environment plan, but I think a separate plan would be a good idea as the learning environment plan does not cover all the outside activities. I have been a bit slack with my outside area and need to work on it this half term!

thank you thats great

48281[/snapback]

In our setting we plan

literacy

numeracy

PSE

Physical

Kuow or Creative (we alternate these weekly)

We also do a plan on one sheet for free flow areas and included in this is our outdoor play. I am now wondering if we do too much???

Hi

I do a Literacy Plan

a numeracy plan

planning for all the areas of learning - creative, etc, but it's divided into science based, r.e. based, etc

and planning for all activity areas, e.g. role play, sand and water, etc and they all have learning objectives/intentions and suggested questions in areas to support independent activities.

These are all done weekly, but when we have our unit we will do a daily planning sheet as well, and a new outdoors plan.

Hope this helps

We do a:

daily plan

a detailed individual plan with space for assessment for the adult led activities

a weekly 'independent activity planner'

a taskboard planner

will attach independent planner & inidividual activity planner (I started the individual planner to ensure that my TA knows exactly what I want her to do and also to ensure that the assessment gets completed!).

Hope they help someone!

Individual_activity_template_2005.doc

Independent_activities_Feb_28.05.doc

Hello,

I do all my weekly planning on one sheet, I find it much easier to read and makes it accessible for TA. I complete it on PC in tiny font (view at 200%) and then enlarge to A3 on the copier. It just means everything is in one place and I prefer as simple as poss! Must admitt my outdoor planning is a bit on a back burner. Sometimes I just haven't used what I've planned though. The children get so involved in their own activites; riding bikes, climbing frame, imaginitive games etc that I prefer to observe and leave them to it. Does that sound really bad? How do other people plan for outdoor - what activities do you plan?

Emma :o

We only have a weekly plan for outdoor learning.

We have quite a detailed long term (yearly) plan including continuous provision, routine, environment etc

We have Medium Term plans (not that detailed I must say) with just suggested activities (because we do try to respond to children's ideas) these last for the new 'term' (7 weeks approx ) We are very clear about the skills to be learnt and ELGs to be covered.

Then we have daily plans. Our TAs actually do the Weekly Plan, so my paper work is down to a minimum. Doing away with the Weekly plan has really, really changed my working life for the better. They were a waste of time - how can you know what you will be doing on Wed, Thurs or Fri if we are meant to observing and responding to the children???? Sometimes I change my Monday afternoon in response to what happened on Monday morning. (I never really looked at them either - they were just filed away)

We stick firmly with our routine (v. important for children) and our daily plans do include differentiated work, learning intentions, next steps, etc. I do look at, change, scribble on, amend daily plan a lot - a real 'working' document.

If your school would allow it, I would highly recommend doing away with the dreaded Sunday night weekly plan(s) and go straight to dailys. It took the recommendation of our local lead FS teacher to give us the courage to do it and I have never looked back.

Why do people do separate numeracy and literacy plans ? ALL our six areas are of equal importance. These harp back to the horrors of the numeracy and literacy hours. (I understand there might be pressure from individual schools - luckily for me I am in a wonderful, supportive school)

I only say this in an effort to lesson people's paper workload.

Hi everyone! I've just joined this forum - it's exactly what I've been looking for. Everyone is very helpful and there are some great ideas.

I just read these latest comments on planning and realised I'm not really doing as much as I probably should be.

Would Emma be able to attach a blank template for her planner, that sounds really useful. I'm hoping to change the way I plan really, over the half term holiday, to make sure I am covering everything I should be.

Being new to Reception is really hard and any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Vi

Wow! That sounds fantastic about the daily plans, rather than weekly. And I agree about the Lit/Num being separate - why do we all do that?

Do you have any examples that I could show to my head?

Thanks!

Viki

We have a long term plan and a medium term plan (very similar to the Norfolk planning) Medium term plans include continuous provision.Then we do a seperate med term literacy and numeracy plan for reception /nursery. We plan for 2 days each week initially then plan retrospectively. We use a literacy and numeracy daily plan and plan daily for areas usually 30 activities per day.

Ooh I hate myself. I have tried to promise myself not to stress/beat myself up/doubt my abilitiesI etc BUT I looked at your post Marion and felt sick when I read that you plan 30 activities. Is this a typo?!

I went away, determined not to think about it, but could I? Oh no!

I have my continuous provision things out (these number 8) in total and then plan to have another 8 new activities out for the children to access independently throughout the morning. These change each day. That only makes 16 in total. Plus my TA and I do guided/instigated activities also. In the afternoon we all do the same thing for a time, followed by free time.

Palpitations coming on, deep breathing, chocolate, lie down, vodka...

Hi again,

I make sure my MT plans are pretty detailed and then my weekly plan does not take that long - usually get it finished in PPA time each week - if not then one evening in the week as I HATE waking up on a sunday knowing I have my planning to do!

I fill in an ongoing evaluation sheet and always try to respond to children's partcicular interestes/strengths/weaknesses as and when. Attached is my weekly planning sheet.

I am lucky in that over the last couple of years, we have managed to set up the areas in the classroom very successfully - with good resources and storage so children have independent access at all times. I just plan for specific enhancements - usually relating to the topic.

Emma x

160106.DOC

Ooh I hate myself. I have tried to promise myself not to stress/beat myself up/doubt my abilitiesI etc BUT I looked at your post Marion and felt sick when I read that you plan 30 activities. Is this a typo?!

Sorry for any worry :o I should add we are a Foundation Stage Unit so there are 2 teachers and 2 NNEBs.

Hi

Bit late in the day but here's what we do...

Reception class 30 children

Once a half term-takes about three hours

literacy medium term-one sheet

maths medium term - one sheet

Creative,K&U,physical,PSHE, medium term- two sheets

Once a week-takes about one hour

Weekly plan- one sheet-drawn from medium term

Daily plan

Up to individual -takes about 10-15 mins

Very useful to put in time for Medium term planning as makes the other planning quite straight forward

Trudie

Edited by Trudie

If, as has been said before, you do a detailed mid term plan (we use same format as Norfolk) and include a weekly pacer, the weekly plans don't take too long as you have already set out your main objectives, you then just have to include any changes based on your obs etc.

I agree about the literacy & numeracy plans surely all areas are equally as important (particularly PSED?). I complete a seperate mid term plan for PE & ICT because I have a specific programme that I want to follow. (although school being school, this never runs smoothly - computers down, hall being used for something else etc! xD ).

I think the key is to create a plan that suits you and your setting, that doesn't take hours to complete and remains a flexible working document? :o

It's very helpful to see how others plan, but I feel that we all have different requirements placed on us by our schools and no one should be feeling 'stressed out' by what others do. If your planning works for you then stick to it!! Having said all that, keep posting your planning ideas/formats as it is important for development - we can all learn things from each other!! :D:D

Hi again,

I make sure my MT plans are pretty detailed and then my weekly plan does not take that long - usually get it finished in PPA time each week - if not then one evening in the week as I HATE waking up on a sunday knowing I have my planning to do!

I fill in an ongoing evaluation sheet and always try to respond to children's partcicular interestes/strengths/weaknesses as and when. Attached is my weekly planning sheet.

I am lucky in that over the last couple of years, we have managed to set up the areas in the classroom very successfully - with good resources and storage so children have independent access at all times. I just plan for specific enhancements - usually relating to the topic.

Emma x

48378[/snapback]

Your Weekly Plan example is great Emma, thank you for sharing it, lots of detail, how long do you normally spend on this? Cool, thanks Viki.

Can anyone tell me more about the Norfolk planning site? Can we use this info even if we're in Lancashire? Silly question, but if it's useful then I could start from there instead...

Thanks

Viki

Glad you found it useful Viki!

It usually takes about 2 hours to complete my weekly planning and I do normally get it finished in my PPA time.

I totally agree with Shelley in that everyone has different requirements placed on them by their schools and can look very different! Schools/Heads want different emphasis on different areas and although my planning sheet was devised by myself I definitely had certain 'slants' from the Head that needed focus.

Emma x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)