Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

EYFS

Hi

Is there a way that I am missing, in the EYFS area when doing an observation?

I have examples as I am not sure that my question make sense.

Questions

1 Can you put emerging by one and developing by another in the same area?

Seeks to gain attention in a variety of ways, drawing others into social interaction. Emerging

Builds relationships with special people. Developing

Is wary of unfamiliar people. Secure

2 Can you cross over the areas in age ranges as well?

PD Moving and Handling 22-36 months Runs safely on whole foot. Secure

PD Moving and Handling 30-50 months Moves freely and with pleasure and confidence in a range of ways, such as slithering, shuffling, rolling, crawling, walking, running, jumping, skipping, sliding and hopping. Developing

Hello,

Well done on making your first post!

You can only assess a statement within the EYFS area in one age band and one refinement. So in your first example:

"Seeks to gain attention in a variety of ways, drawing others into social interaction. Emerging
Builds relationships with special people. Developing
Is wary of unfamiliar people. Secure"
No, you would need to make separate observations to indicate the different development levels in the different statements.
Alternatively, you could make one professional judgement of the whole EYFS area.
The same is true of your second example, you need to assess one thing at a time.
When you come to look at your analysis and how Tapestry works out the attainment for children you can 'tell' Tapestry whether you want it to look for the age bands, or the refinements (emerging, developing, secure) or the number of statements ticked (or a combination of them) - then you can be sure that overall your assessments will reflect the child's development in all the areas fairly. You can set these through your control panel (top right of your screen)