Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ratio's help!

bano4994

Please can someone clarify ratio's as it is very unclear in the EYFS we have three level 3 staff, one level 2 and two unqualified members of staff.

1st question: if all three level 3 staff, one level 2 and one unqualified is working how may 2, 3 and 4 year olds does that cover?

2nd question: two level 3 staff, one level 2 and two unqualified how many does that cover?

How many 2 year olds, 3 year olds and 4 year olds can level 3 and level 2 have and also how may for unqualified.

We are just about to go through the registration process so would like to have this clear as I'm finding the wording in the EYFS confusing.

We can have 32 in the setting but would only have 24 to begin with.

Edited by bano4994

Hi

I am presuming that you are including the manager as one of your level 3, so you have 2 level 3, 1 level2 and 2 unqualified and therefore cover the manager must have a level 3 and half of all other staff must be qualified. All your staff can be included in ratio.

I have attached a useful document for working out mixed ratios. All 2-3 yr olds must be in a 1:4 ratio and 3-4 yr olds in a 1:8 ratio. The number in the table represents the number of staff needed. Hope it helps!

I would look closely at where your qualified staff are if you are not operating in one big room.

STAFF RATIOS IN MIXED AGE ROOM.docx

Edited by marley

Thank you , yes the manager level 3 will be working with the children in the ratio which i have included in the number of level 3 qualified above.

So Forum Gardener from what i understand from the table you attached if for example we have 20 three year olds and 20 two year olds ( which would never happen just an example) we need 8 staff half of which need to be level three?

Edited by bano4994
  • Like 1

Thank you , yes the manager level 3 will be working with the children in the ratio which i have included in the number of level 3 qualified above.

So Forum Gardener from what i understand from the table you attached if for example we have 20 three year olds and 20 two year olds ( which would never happen just an example) we need 8 staff half of which need to be level three?

In group settings, the manager must hold at least a full and relevant

level 3 qualification and at least half of all other staff must hold at least a full and relevant level 2 qualification

Just remember with ratios always count down. so a 3 year old can be counted down in a two year old ratio, but a two year old can never be counted up into 3 year old ratios.

For example;

2x level 3 staff + 1 x unqualified (if they are all in same room) could have 9x 3/5 year olds + 7x2 year olds. (8 of the 3-5yrs on a 1:8 ratio with one dropping down to the 1:4 ratio for the two year olds)

You then also have one level 3 and half of all other staff as at least level 2

Gets a little more confusing if you have a EYP/ EYT :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)