Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Need Some Help

How on earth do you do a medium term plan for early learning goals, such as' continue to be interested, excited and motivated to learn'. Don't these just happen!

I'm really really am getting bogged down with planning, and never feel like I am getting to grips with it.

How long has it taken for you guys to get to grips with planning.

Just need to see some light at the end of this tunnel. :o

Anyway, I have my medium term plan for Spring term. But I am convinced myself that its not right. I have used the Norfolk site to help me. But what I am not sure about is the ELGs, as I know I will be covering most of the ELG. So do I just highlight them all.

Any ideas please, thank you.

spring_plan.doc

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Lauraplay

I'm still getting to grips with planning and I've been doing it for 20 years or more!!

It changes and needs to be relevant to the set of children you are teaching, every year you get a set of children with different needs eg this year I have two statemented children complete with support so this adds extra into the planning, their needs (the children and two women!)

The long term plan and medium planning can stay the same, its how you fiddle with it to suit your present class that I find interesting.

I don't think I will ever get it right as I teach R/Yr1 .This year I am starting to add NC objectives this term into my planning (yes Using the norfolk planning format) to cater for theyear1 and an exceptional reception child.

Laura I wouldn't worry too much. Your planning is certainly detailed. Lots of ELGs are covered all the time in everyday routines. Just concentrate on high-lighing the main ELGs you are focussing on in your teaching activities.

I see you are doing Rosie's Walk - you can download pics here if you are interested :D

Tinkerbell, I would be interested in seeing your plans as I am in a simlar situation, I have a mixed R/Y1 class, 2 statemented children in Y1 (each wiht amost full time support) , 2 (going for3) statemented R children (share a morning support 4 times a week) so there are lots of management issues with people! I tend to produce 2 lots of medium term plans, and I have actually gone back to doing daily plans because of managing the adults. The lower attaining Y1/higher attaining R are working towards some of the same obectives. Foruntaley I don't have the 5 highest attaining Y1s as they are int he Y2 class (but I do teach them in the afternoons for foundation subjects).

Marie

Just some more clarification.....

The ELG that I highlight for the term, are the only ones that I will use in my weekly plan. Is that right. You see I am using 100 maths lessons for some of my lessons and they are covering most of the ELG in a term and don't focus on a particular goal.

To go back to your initial Q, Laura - can you not make some kind of statement of 'ongoing', including the ways this might be happening? As you say, these are hard to specifically highlight and plan for, but the whole of your work has this in mind, I would imagine

Sue

Like Sue R said, I think that there are some things, particularly in PSED that you can't specifically plan for but that are implicit in classroom practice/protocol. I just block this on my medium term plans. I'm including a copy of this for you to have a look at - hope it turns out okay: I had a look at your plans and for some reason my computer has turned it into Chinese or something! I sympathise with you Laura. I doubt myself constantly. The only thing I can say is the fact that you care enough to be questioning what you already do and striving for ways that you can be better must make you fab :)

medium_term_plan.doc

Hi,

I couldn't download your plans - but I am sure they are fab.

The way we do it is to look at all the ELGs that are covered through our daily routines and our provision/environments. We make a list of all these goals and note them down in our Long Term Planning. They are mainly PSED and then we know they are being addressed almost constantly. The ELGs that are left are then divided into our topics, with many being repeated. Although our topics are becoming increasing changable - repsonding to the children's needs and interests.

By the way we do not do any weekly plan (complete waste of time) and on our daily plan we rarely have an ELG - as these are broken down into learning intentions.

Hope this might help. Will try to attach the long tern planning things.

Long_Term_Plan___The_Environment.doc

ELGs___Routine_of_the_Day.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)