Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Individual view showing areas achieved

Sixpenny

Hi there,

Please could you advise me as to whether there is an option to view an individual child's areas of learning, those statements that they have achieved and those that they have yet to achieve. The rest of the school use School Pupil Tracker Online and this is a feature that they are keen to see being used, particularly in Reading, Writing and Maths and we would prefer to be doing this through Tapestry, rather than using two programmes! I think the idea is that it would show gaps in areas of learning and would give focused handover, particularly at the end of the year when moving to year 1.

Many thanks,

Rachael

Hi Rachael,

There is yes - the 'Development Matters Statements Screen'. You can find that in the analysis and the snapshots section of the updated version of Tapestry, either at the very bottom of they EYFS Dashboard screen in analysis or the last box in the Early Years Foundation Stage section of snapshots.

You need to select the child and the aspect you would like to see and then it will tell you how many times each statement has been selected and when the last time that was for each one.

Thank you Lauren, that's great.

Is it possible to over ride the results in this section, for example, if you haven't made a particular observation for a statement would it enable you to select it to show that this area is secure from your teacher knowledge and judgement? I am thinking that if we were using this as analysis to show where the gaps are and where the children are particularly secure/need to focus on it would then be fully up to date to share with the rest of the school? Does that make sense?!

Thank you for your help,

Rachael

Hello,

You can manually input teacher assessments - not linked to an observation on the summative assessment snapshot screen. If you select an individual child you will see the areas that have not yet been assessed and you can make your own teacher assessment form there. This will then feed into the analysis sections.

Thank you Rebecca...this is a feature we currently use to ensure we are up to date at the end of every half term ready to analyse data. I was wondering whether there was a feature which allowed individual statements within an age band for each of the development matters to be highlighted as achieved? Or for them to be shown as not achieved...this would allow a subject leader or the next teacher to clearly see the statements that the individual is not demonstrating yet and therefore why they have perhaps not achieved that age band securely....does that make sense? I can see that you would be able to report the actual age band and refinement but is there a way you can show which specific aspects of that age band are secure? A bit similair to the old style paper highlighting of the development matters grid?

Thank you very much,

Rachael

Hi Rachael,

It isn't possible to do that on Tapestry I'm afraid, predominantly because we think it will encourage people to use the statements as a tick list, which really isn't their intended use (take a look at this article, written by the author of the Development Matters document, Nancy Stewart, if you're interested).

Rather than relying solely on the statements to show future teachers what sorts of things a child can do, you might want to consider using the reports on Tapestry to make notes about it. That way you aren't limited to the few things that are given as examples for the behaviours you might see in a child in a particular age band.