Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Updating Of Operational Plan

Deb

I'm going to update our operational plan over half-term (somewhen!) because it's got into a bit of mess. It needs re-organising and I'm going to use the format posted on here a little while ago.

Do you replace old letters/newsletters etc with the current ones or do you keep them all in the operational plan? Our file is getting very big. I did wonder about starting a completely new operational plan, keeping the old one in tact to show historical information, but I do want a life as well!

Not sure I've explained myself very well. It's been a long day.

Great fun though, a Chinese family came in to see the children, with wonderful artefacts, we did lion dancing, made blossom trees (tissue paper) glued onto twigs. Altogether a wonderful educational cultural experience for us all.

Deb

Hi Deb,

I'll be doing the same this break - we know how to have a good time don't we!

Some people are now putting their plans in the new format SHAPE (five outcomes), but it's a bit of a headache! I think I might just start again, but keep the old system as a back up.

I keep getting confused as there is constant paperwork to read up on. On the Under fives forum there is a 'Direction of Travel Paper' mentioned which is basically the updated version of Birth to Three matters, but it is all doing my head in!!!

How are you (or others) going to organise their files?

Would appreciate early replies because I would like 1 day off!!

I'm planning to do the same - using the format posted on here (Devon COUNTY COUNCIL). This does refer to standards.Have made a start but now you've got me wondering should I do it by the five OFSTD Outcomes?

Think its going to take a long time.

Sue

Happy holidays eh!

All the Parents wish you a good break, if only they knew!

I really don't know what to do for the best, obviously working by the standards, it's what we're used to and already done, but if Ofsted are looking at the five outcomes, then they need to see this in place.

I tend to waffle, when first starting to put pen to paper and I can just see me being here all week changing things and then starting again when things are more clearer.

Has anyone had a recent inspection? Did they want to see both or just the SHAPE (or SHEEP!)

HELP!!!!

I'm being really dense here - I've got the dreaded seasonal cold (that's my excuse). How does Being Healthy, Enjoying and achieving, Making a contribution, Staying safe and Organisation be turned into the anagram SHAPE?

I've planned to re-do my Operational plan this week too. My previous one was focused o the standards.

I was thinking of setting it out to the 5 outcomes because this incorporates the standards, FSC and BTTM. How it will work in practise I don't know yet. I do know that I will not be writing it all myself, I shall work out a format through doing the Organisation outcome and use this as an example then delegate the rest to the staff, who will be the people who are actually working to and carrying out the Operational plan. :o

Interested to hear how others have done this too.

peggy

I think it is as follows

S- safe

H- health

A-achieving

P- positive contribution

E-Economic well being

I went on a course last week and we were told to use SHEEP

S-Safe

H-health

Enjoying and acheiving

E-economic well being

P-positive contribution

We use SHAPE but doesnt matter just agood way of remembering them

Thanks for that one Andreamay! It is handy being on Under5's too! You mentioned the training course you went on. How did you find it and did it suggest what to include in the operational plan?

Glad I asked the question, now thinking about using the 5 outcomes but would be very interested to hear how it would be done, it does seem to make sense. Within each of the outcomes would you have everything subdivided still to access the information quickly, presumably you wouldn't just have everything in date order. Sorry if I'm being a bit thick, just want to be sure I'm going to be doing it right. Won't the difficulty be deciding which outcome something fits into, as they do seem to overlap. The newsletter I've just sent out could go into several outcomes. We have only just gone through our second outcome on our self evaluation so I'm not totally au fait with it all yet.

Deb

Could I butt in here and ask where the format from Devon County council is please???????

I was actually quite happy (well as happy as you can be with an Operational Plan!) but that's created a problem - it's been in place for some time now and is obviously due for an overhaul!!!!!!!! :o

Thanks

Janice :)

Am hoping this link will take you to it. Here goes - think it's called creating your operational plan.

www.devon.gov.uk/index/learning/_early_years_and_childcare/zero14plus/doc

I was going to use this but now not so sure.

Deb

Me too Kymberley!

Thanks for the link. I think what I'll do is keep it as it is, but add in a page linking it the ECM outcomes.

Fingers crossed that that will be ok :)

I have started to update our Operational Plan alon the lines of the devon county council and as I've started think I will carry on down this route but maybe add a link to the outcomes as well. Otherwise I will be working on it for longer than a week - unpaid at that!!

Sue

why do we do it? I imagine that the rest of the early years staff are all enjoying their half term holidays while we feel the need to work!! as you might guess Im spending the holidays doing paperwork too!!!

our operational plan is set out under under the 14 national standards but it is not filed in the numerical order of the standards

We took the five out comes and filed each standard under the relievant outcome its all contained in a lever arch file (a rather bulging file!) with a covering index page in the front I dont know if this will work OFSTED havent seen our operational plan yet but it works for me!

This is our front index page (some times its easier to show than discribe?)

1.Helping Children to be healthy

Standard 7: Health

Standard 8: Food and drink

2.Protecting children from harm or neglect and helping them stay safe

Standard 4: Physical Environment

Standard 5: Equipment

Standard 6: Safety

Standard 13: Child Protection

3.Helping children enjoy and achieve

Standard 3: Care, learning and play

4.Helping children to make a positive contribution to the provision and the wider community

Standard 9: Equal Opportunities

Standard 10: Special Needs

Standard 11: Behaviour

Standard 12: Working in Partnership

5.Organisation

Standard 1: Suitable Person

Standard 2: Organisation

Standard 14: Documentation

periodical items such as news letters that are changed frequently are not kept in the main operaional plan but a second box file I dont think ofsted will want to see and read every letter sent home to parents only evidence that is does happen

section 3 in the operational plan is more of an over view than all the current planning we have a seperate file for planning other wise the operational plan would be toooooooo big.

I must say I havent seen any one elses operational plan so the above idea was pure guess work..... is this a standard sort of lay out others are using?

Hiya the course was actually about speech and language but they brought the sheep method in when refering to BTTM!

I do our operational plan as you do Allison.

Basically working thruogh the standards showing how we meet each one I will alos be grouping them to the new outcomes this holiday!!

That is VERY REASSURING! Thanks Alison and everyone else who's commented. I don't have to do as much work now as I thought! It still peeves me a bit to know we are all working our socks off during the holidays - it's not just this one, I seem to be working all the time. My husbands off this week too, he's got all these plans about going places or spending time with me, but I know I can't and feel guilty - maybe I'll go out with him, and work till the early hours!

Crumbs, I seem to be moaning alot lately! SORRY :o

No apologies necessary!!!!! We've all been there and got the T-shirt :o

I do exactly the same as you! But, don't work too late or you'll be falling asleep all over your outings and 'us' time - from experience (painful) best avoided!!

Take care!

Sue

It's the 'Us' time that does concern me!!! As the saying goes "lay back and think of England" but in my case it's "think of planning or obs or ofsted or standards or .......................??????

Whoops! I've most probably upset people now - it's your fault Sue R!

HAPPY DAYS :oxD:(

Didn't mean to lower the tone, think I need help! or a life

Totally understand how you're feeling Kimberley, feeling a bit overwhelmed all the time I put in too. Why am I doing so much when others seem very adept at not doing anything! Wouldn't mind if I was being properly reimbursed for this dedication, so I could afford to treat the family!

Read somewhere recently something along the lines of 'who would miss you if you had a ..........', work would be able to replace you but could your family? Hubby has two days off this week so will make sure they're completely pre-school free. The rest will be a juggling act. Trouble is, all these wonderful ideas need time to put in place. And I'm out of chocolate, but not wine, where's the bottle opener!! Thanks for listening!

Deb

I'm on the wine too! Must admit all my staff are working too, trying to update their books, this is even more of a pressure, as I can't ask them to do any more!

I just think everything is out of control with the paperwork side. There isn't a day that goes by when you don't need to be thinking about something or having to follow something up.

I will make time for him this week - (between 2 and 4 on Tuesday looks good!) No, I will!

Thanks for your comments!

Enjoy your wine Deb :o

I agree with all your comments. Maybe we should have a

NATIONAL NO PAPERWORK DAY ( Tomorrow suits my timetable- does it fit with yours :( )

or maybe it should be A WHOLE WEEK xD

Does it really, really matter if it is not done??

1st week of term we had no written plans, no notes recorded on what we did that week and therefore no written evaluations.

If I'm totally honest, IT DIDN'T CHANGE THE EXPERIENCES THE CHILDREN HAD, ( our aim -in thought/mind was settling in) THEY ALL SETTLED VERY WELL. :D (plus learnt lots more)

The consecutive weeks we have written plans, notes, evaluations etc - During week one, We did our job, we know we did our job, the parents and children benefitted from us doing our job.

My only pressure is that the blank pages for week one are noticeably blank. So this tells me why we actually do all this paperwork. EVIDENCE for Inspectors should they arrive. :o

BET THEY DON'T WORK IN THE HOLIDAYS WRITING UP REPORTS.

So, be strong, NO PAPERWORK TOMORROW, that's what I say. :(

Peggy

p.s. week one-I WILL OF COURSE WRITE IT ALL UP - RETROSPECTIVELY.

OOh Peggy, Definately having NO PAPERWORK day tomorrow! Me and Hubby are going to town, may be lunch, who knows!

I am also having a 'no phone calls day' no ironing day', 'no washing day', 'no hoovering day' 'don't worry, be happy day' CAN'T WAIT!

Then Wednesday everything will loom over like a big dark cloud and reality will set in - but at least I can look forward to Christmas day and Boxing day - these are my other two days of NO PAPERWORK!!

BUT I LOVE THE JOB! (Children anyway)

ENJOY your day tomorrow!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)