Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Water And Sand Play

I am looking for some advice! I am a NN currently studying for the FD. I was wondering if anyone could put forward any simple ideas to make the sand and water play more interesting? :o

different coloured water?

wet sand/ dry sand?

different habitats in the areas?> eg dinosaurs ( we have some nice home made rocks they use whith them)

use shredded paper in the water tray and hide things

letters/ numbers?

floating objects with numbers on/ letters on

We have used dry rice and porridge oats as substitutes for sand and the children love the different textures.

47503[/snapback]

Also compost in the sand tray - maybe with bits of vegetation (safe stuff) and trowels.

Diggers etc. in the sand to convert in to a building site.

We hide shapes in the sand for the children to match to a large shape board.

Make it in to the seaside with a water area & added shells & stones.

Making own boats for water play - either from junk modelling or using re-usable construciton such as lego.

I've used peat, but be careful because any draughts can blow it around, I can assure you it's very unpleasant if you get it in your eyes!

You could also use 'cleanish mud' - there's a recipe in the article 'Art in the Foundation Stage - the Project'. Actually, I think it's also in the 'Growing' Topic.

Sue

I buy fish from the supermarket / fishmongers, trout, and other varieties, these are placed in the water tray. The children love to explore them, how they move, their gills, eys, teeth, skin.

Hygiene is important and thorough washing of hands after play and when emptied the water tray is disinfected with a solution of bleach.

Fish are also great for doing paint prints.

Peggy

Peggy, when I was little apparently I coined the phrase 'nice nasty'. I think that safely describes your last post - fish in the water tray could qualify as 'nice nasty'. I'd be the child that sidled along to see what everyone else was doing but would probably be reluctant to have a turn, until of course you were just about to empty it at the end of the session, then I'd probably be gagging to have a go! Seriously though, my ramblings have reminded me how important it is to put new things/experiences out over a period of time so that children approach the activity at their own speed and have a go when they are ready, not when they are told to!

We decided at planning meeting to put pink blamange in the tray for valentines day not sure the link but should be different experience. Have had jelly, slime (soapflakes and water) small pebbles etc anything to provide new experiences. Small world in sand tray etc We are fortunate to always have 2 sand trays one wet one dry plus a large outdoor sand pit and a digging pit full of compost add just about anything to them.

Often put the fish on the investigation table or even the art table (printing still life etc) but the water tray idea sounds very interesing Peggy must give it a try.

47579[/snapback]

Hi

We have used cooked spaghetti, kids loved it. Also spaghetti in water to represent worms, and porridge.

Hi

In our setting we have used cornflakes in the sand tray with small world figures hidden, with tubs to put them in when found, for sorting and counting. we also use pasta or rice for the same thing. Compost is a good one but can become messy, and barley is very therapeutic. The toddlers love the pasta tray in their area, it can be very good for settling a new or upset child. it is also easier to clean up in our carpeted toddler area if it gets dropped on the floor.

Hope this helps

Milly

wow peggy never would of thought of doing that would love to but not sure how the staff would see it they already think Im odd!! :D Are they expensive to buy?Its just this thing of using dead things!!

47674[/snapback]

Just a few pounds each, some parents have donated. We discuss the political correctness of using food for play each time we do this. My view is they are not wasted because of the scientific teaching they promote. :D

Here's some pics, not the best ones I have but give you an idea of how the children explore them. The last one is a child painting a prawn :o

Peggy

post-3604-1139746754.gif

post-3604-1139746796_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1139746851_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1139746902_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I buy fish from the supermarket / fishmongers, trout, and other varieties, these are placed in the water tray. The children love to explore them, how they move, their gills, eys, teeth, skin.

Hygiene is important and thorough washing of hands after play and when emptied the water tray is disinfected with a solution of bleach. 

Fish are also great for doing paint prints.

Peggy

47537[/snapback]

Just have to say we put the fish in the water tray for World Book Day (rainbow fish ..... sort of) had a few comments from parents along the lines of YUK! but the children loved it especially one new nursery child who gutted the lot xD resulted in me having to remove them :o

Sometimes if the fish is over handled it will fall apart, but I used this opportunity to show the children the skeleton and I seperated the skin from the flesh and laid the skin out flat. When I wasn't looking a girl took the skin off the table, folded it and used it as a purse to hold some small peices of lego in it. :o

On the sand/mud/soil/compost ideas, I often find the children get more out of these if they are placed on the floor ( on tarpaulin mats), much more room to dig, scoop and manouvre than when they are confined to a sand tray. :D

Peggy

Add fairy liquid and water to sand and give the children whisks. it make the sand go light and fluffy like chocolate mouse (although doesn't taste as good)! Our children love it. Get some great language from them too.

• 3 months later...

Ditto, fantastic planning - its what we do but we don't have down in so much detail - gosh are all your plans that detailed - you put me to shame - just couldn't begin to think how much time that would take.

Many, many thanks for sharing this with us.

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)