Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonic Games

Hi

I'm hoping that some of you may be able to help. I feel quite fed up with the same old phonic games we play every day and need some inspiration please. We use letter fans, play a tick/cross game. pass the tin, sort into envelopes, objects in a bag, hands on heads, on knees etc, corners game but I would like to do some thing different. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Trudie

:o chose this smiley because it's HOLIDAY next week!! Hooray

Hi Trudie,

We have been making treasure hunts this week using clues on different places in the classroom e.g. we read 'bin' and then the bin has a sign saying 'tap' and so on until we reach the treasure. Started to leave this out as an independent activity as well.

The children also enjoy cvc word bingo, laminated cards which have a picture and phoneme frame underneath for the children to write the word on to, a washing line to create CVC words on, action word cards (buzz, flap, jump, run etc). Have also used some of the ladybird phonic books as a stimulus and asked the children to write words from the story on whiteboards.

Would love to know how you play the tick/cross game and hands on heads.

Sunflower

Hi sunflower

Love the treasure hunt idea and will give that a go....for tick/cross game all of the children need a piece of card (preferably laminated)with a tick on one side and a cross on the other. Adult then shows a picture/object beginning with sound ( or not) in focus and children have to choose a tick if it begins with sound in focus or a cross if not. They then show altogether their choice to adult.

This game is great for assessment as you can see at a glance who can hear sound or not. Also good for PSHE as children help each other and they have to wait sensibly whilst all cards are given out.

Hands on heads works in same way, good, quick game and keeps them focused.

Have you tried cvc hangman with whole class, great fun and somehow I always end up the loser which children love and they think they are so clever.

Trudie

Good idea using a double sided card - lot easier than trying to give out 30 yes and no cards.

Will have to try the hangman - I have a feeling my competitive bunch would love it!

How many letters do you have on each letter fan? My children find it really difficult to manipulate them to make words, especially getting them in the right order.

Sunflower

Yes they are a bit fiddly but as long as they find correct letters I don't worry too much if word isn't exactly right.

Cvc bingo is fun too.

Have you got any good websites for phonics? Have used words and pictures.

Trudie

47508[/snapback]

Hi emmai

Cvc Bingo.. ......Have attached bingo cards and large teacher cards. Each child has a card (cut sheet in half to make a card with six pictures on it) and adult holds up either pic or cvc word from the teacher cards. As children search for pic on their card they sound out word with adult who keeps saying the sounds and then the word. They can then cross of their picture using whiteboard pens if the cards are laminated or with a pencil if not. I have played this with the whole class and in groups and the children enjoy it, especially shouting BINGO when they have crossed out all the pictures. There are often many winners but nobody seems to care!! :o

Hope that makes sense and that the game has attached as haven't done this before.

Trudie

med_i_Bingo.doc

Edited by Trudie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)