Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Policies?

I know this was posted only very recently, but I can't find it. I'm redoing our policies at the minute and, having added several new ones, want to be fairly sure I've covered the required ones at least.

I have:

Aims & Objectives

Equal Opps

Healthy Eating

Special Needs

Complaints

Child Protection

Behaviour management

Anti-Bullying

Settling In

Admissions

Confidentiality

Staffing and Employment

Student Placement

Medicines

Asthma

Hygiene

Health & Safety

Key Worker

parental Inolvement

Observation, Assessment & Record keeping

Selecting toys

Non-Collection of children

Emergency closure

Missing child

In addition I have a separate Critical Incident Policy - a major work!and things like Fire Risk Assessment

I hope there aren't too many more [!] but I'd rather know now if anything's missing! We're in a full daycare preschool.

Thanks in anticipation for your input. My head's spinning with policies to the point where I can't think straight.

Just a few off the top of my head, and they may be included in some of yours already;

Recruitment - Induction

Inclusion

Photographs/videos

Volunteers

Work Placements

Training

Curriculum & BTTM

Customer services

Fees

Grant funding

Allegations against staff

Sickness, communicable diseases

Data protection

Outings and public events

Visitors to the setting

Quality assurance

Business and finance

redundancies

unforeseen/emergency closures ( see post from Hali about staff cover due to illness)

SHOULD THERE BE A POLICY ON WRITING POLICIES :oxD:(:(:( :wacko:

Peggy

p.s. I bet there are more xD

oooh, just thought.

Pets in preschool

Outdoor play

Anti-discrimination / challenging discrimination

Partnership with other agencies- ie: health service, youth service, Portage etc

Recycling policy ( just trying to think about everything we do now :o )

partnership with schools

Peggy

We were told recently (by our PLA development worker) that we need to have a Reserves policy too, that details how we would fund staff redundancies if the building burnt down. :o

Carolyn

We were told recently (by our PLA development worker) that we need to have a Reserves policy too, that details how we would fund staff redundancies if the building burnt down. :o

Carolyn

47355[/snapback]

If the building burnt down, I guess we would need to refer to our;

Insurance policy xD:(

Peggy

Good heavens, at this rate the policies booklet will soon be as thick as the Bible - but I think the Bible might be more widely read :o

Oh I'm getting very cynical in my old age.

Thanks for your replies, Peggy & Carolyn - I think!!

I'm reviewing our policies at present - ours are over four years old!!!! Have to add a few more to the list as per above post.

A few questions

Do you give all parents a copy of your policies or just display them at your settings?

Is everyone invovled in renewing your policies?

Sue

I'm reviewing our policies at present - ours are over four years old!!!! Have to add a few more to the list as per above post.

A few questions

Do you give all parents a copy of your policies or just display them at your settings?

Is everyone invovled in renewing your policies?

Sue

47364[/snapback]

During home visits I give the parents what I feel are the most important/relevant to them, we also have a chance to discuss them;

Aims & Objectives (of the preschool)

Settling-in

Child protection

Positive behaviour management

Parents as partners

Terms & Conditions

Fees /grant

Curriculum

All the others are available on our notice table and parents can ask for a copy.

We revue policies on a rolling programme (not all at once), and when legislation requires a change. All staff are involved, they revue a policy at a meeting, we make any changes then give a copy to a few parents for their feedback, ie: parent of child who has downs syndrome reviewed our SEN polcy. Then all parents are informed which policies have been changed and reminded to look at them.

Peggy

Thanks Peggy,

I am having a slght disagrrement with my commitee re policies - we do not do home visits but when new parents visit during my discussions with them I talk about our policies - some of our current parents and committee memebers asmitted they di not know any policies exist!! This really worried me as one parents child has been attending for a year now.

I want to give parents a copy of all our policies - committee think it is a waste of time and paper. I feel I should amke parents more aware of the existence of the policies as many obviously are not aware of their existence. Maybe I could comprimise and give the parents a ciopy of the more important one and do as you do and let some of the parents review them.

Sue

What about putting a little note on the newsletter occasionally to the effect that your policies are available to view/in the parents file which is on view. I think we waste enough paper as it is. We have a list of all our policies in our brochure too.

Deb

I had thought about both of those as an option but although everyone recives a copy of the newsletter not everybody reads it.

I think I will try this option first and make and make a metal note to make sure all visiting childrens parent are fully aware of the policies. I suppose it is all I can do.

Thanks

Sue

Reminds me of the saying 'you can lead a horse to water ...........', it's frustrating when they don't read the newsletter, I think some of them don't read their bills either :o but if they don't read the newsletter what chance do you have that they will read the policies. I guess some parents are interested in policies some aren't but they still need to know they exist.

Could you also put up a permanent notice to promote their existance/availability. I think you are right to draw their attention to the policies when they first attend, something we should do more too!

Deb

We also pull bits out of our policies and quote them in our newsletter. E.g. in the summer term we might put in something about suncream/sunhats from our health and safety policy, or at this time of year something about keeping children away for 48 hours after a bout of D&V or a temperature. Then we can say "for full details see our policies which are available......". That gives parents a reason to read them. Ours are all on our website and in the operational plan for reference.

Peggy - reserves policy is there mainly to provide a reference to the redundancy laws and the fact that we hold enough money if we had to make all the staff redundant at once. I don't think this is covered by our insurance, but you have got me thinking now - I'd better check!

Carolyn

Carolun,

I have insurance for emergency closures and fire, but I don't think any of my insurance covers for redundancies, so this event would be included in my business plan / finance policy.

Peggy

I like the idea of putting upp a permanent notice - think I will do that one.

Think I will also pull bits out of our policies to put in the newsletter - had alot of sick children being brought in this term who really should have stayed at playgroup - parents not happy wehen I called them back.

Sue

We have a joining pack at Nursery which contains our Mission Statement, our policies, our advice for settling children into nursery etc. There is also a storybook about joining nursery for families to share with their children. At the back I include a form for the parents to fill in when they have read the joining pack and there's a space for adding any comments. The instructions are clear too - post the completed form in the Comments Box at Nursery! Does it actually happen? Sometimes......

Just a thought tho, why not get one or two of those files with the display pages in and fill them with your policies. Add a circulation list (with clear instructions and place to tick when seen) to the front of each and start them on their journey around your parents. If you have a large group you could have more than 2 copies circulating at any one time... Good for feedback if you use the form mentioned above. Could make it an annual exercise.

There, now I've suggested it I suppose I'd better do it too! Not a bad idea though......... No one could say they didn't know....

Let me know how you get on!

Thank your for a brilliant suggestion - once my policies are all updated I shall get a couple of copies and circulate them as suggested to all parents - this would alleviate my fears and also satisfy the committee of waste of paper. Will let you know how I get on.

I am also updating our parent guide.

Do many of you do home visits - I am a preschool leader and as yet I have only ever done one home visit for a Mum who did not like confined spaces.

What are the safety implications?

Sue

Thank your for a brilliant suggestion - once my policies are all updated I shall get a couple of copies and circulate  them as suggested to all parents - this would alleviate my fears and also satisfy the committee of waste of paper.  Will let you know how I get on.

I am also updating our parent guide.

Do many of you do home visits - I am a preschool leader and as yet I have only ever done one home visit for a Mum who did not like confined spaces.

What are the safety implications?

Sue

47445[/snapback]

Yes LJW- brilliant idea.

Smiles - I do home visits because I am never on ratio. My manager ( and my husband) know the details of my visits place, who, time. They normally take about an hour and I phone my manager when I leave, if I am longer than 1 hr 15 mins my manager phones my mobile. 1/ to check Im ok and 2/ to help end a visit ( too much chatting :o )

Assessing Safety really depends on your knowledge of your local area. there have been discussions on home visits before, pros and cons, so why not try a search.

Peggy

• 1 month later...
Guest ann waez
I know this was posted only very recently, but I can't find it. I'm redoing our policies at the minute and, having added several new ones, want to be fairly sure I've covered the required ones at least.

I have:

Aims & Objectives

Equal Opps

Healthy Eating

Special Needs

Complaints

Child Protection

Behaviour management

Anti-Bullying

Settling In

Admissions

Confidentiality

Staffing and Employment

Student Placement

Medicines

Asthma

Hygiene

Health & Safety

Key Worker

parental Inolvement

Observation, Assessment & Record keeping

Selecting toys

Non-Collection of children

Emergency closure

Missing child

In addition I have a separate Critical Incident Policy - a major work!and things like Fire Risk Assessment

I hope there aren't too many more [!] but I'd rather know now if anything's missing! We're in a full daycare preschool.

Thanks in anticipation for your input. My head's spinning with policies to the point where I can't think straight.

47327[/snapback]

Guest ann waez

51950[/snapback]

xD After one year of running a Day Nursery Im reviewing my policies and working on the Fire Risk policy at the moment ,does anyone have a copy of a Fire Assessment policy they would be happy to share ?.Ive tried to go on the link to risk assessments but Im not having much luck .

:o Im currently in the process of opening a baby unit but have been advised not to use the upstairs rooms but move the older children and have the babies downstairs.Does anyone have a baby unit upstairs and if so how do you ensure fire safety procedures are manageable?

xD After one year of running a Day Nursery Im reviewing my policies and working on the Fire Risk policy at the moment ,does anyone have a copy of a Fire Assessment policy they would be happy to share ?.Ive tried to go on the link to risk assessments but Im not having much luck .

:o Im currently in the process of opening a baby unit but have been advised not to use the upstairs rooms but move the older children and have the babies downstairs.Does anyone have a baby unit upstairs and if so how do you ensure fire safety procedures are manageable?

51954[/snapback]

I used to run a baby room upstairs - and after expansion baby room is now down in a basement ( need to go upstairs for fire escape ! ) We use a human chain as part of our drill. Babies are collected in ' safe area' and then a chain is created up the stairs to evacuate them. It works very well for us and has passed for Fire Inspection and OFSTED.

Hope this is of some use. :)

What about nappy changing policies and photography policies? These are two I'm doing at the moment and I find they're the easiest to foget!

ann waez "In addition I have a separate Critical Incident Policy".

I have been advised to put together a critical incident policy, but don`t really know where to start. Can you help at all?

Hi Peggy, my name is Becky and i work in a private day nursery, and we are working our way through the quality counts accreditation.

I am currently sorting through our policies and procedures for the hundredth time and i noticed that you have a recruitment procedure.

i would be really grateful for some information please if you don't mind, or a copy would be wonderful.

Thank you very much and i look forward to hearing from you. :)

As I was trawling through this topic I saw mention of a nappy changing policy. We have just changed the title of ours to 'Personal Care and Changing Policy' as the children in our care don't just wear nappies! Some wear Pull=up's which the parents definitely don't see as nappies (but that's another issue), also children soil or wet their underwear, need changing after painting, outside play, messy play or even just handwashing so our policy now covers all eventualities and sounds more 'PC'.

One other thing, I think all SEN policies and Child Protection policies have to be reviewed annually now - its definitely good practice too.

Guest ann waez

:o

I used to run a baby room upstairs - and after expansion baby room is now down in a basement ( need to go upstairs for fire escape ! ) We use a human chain as part of our drill. Babies are collected in ' safe area' and then a chain is created up the stairs to evacuate them. It works very well for us and has passed for Fire Inspection and OFSTED.

Hope this is of some use. :)

51963[/snapback]

xD Thanks for your help on fire procedures and risk assessments , will be busy now preparing for the Ofsted visit !.The council have told me i have to apply for planning permission to use the upstairs ,so its going to take a while before we are up and running. :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)