Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted

As a subject co-ordinator I am aware of the types of evidence that Ofsted will require you to provide if and when they come in. As far as key stage co-ordinators, in this instance FS, what are the types of paperwork they would expect to see?

Your help is appreciated!

We had our OFSTED 2 weeks ago and were not asked to produce any paperwork. The inspectors did not see co ordinators having meetings with the Head and the management team, governors and the school council

It was a completely different experience from previous OFSTED inpections

Edited by MARl0N

They did not ask to see any paperwork from us either - they observed snack time when they came to see us - a child was sick everywhere. The Inspector then made a child cry, it was all a bit of a nightmare really!! Particularly as their opinion of Reception was a 10 minute observation!!!

How do they report findings now? Do they 'grade' classes/key stages in the same way that they used to e.g. teaching in Reception (by Moose) is really poor! Ooh, I feel another panic attack coming on! Just going to lie down in a darkened room for an hour or two!

My question is a serious one though!

Oh baggers what did they do to make a child cry?

47205[/snapback]

She spoke to the youngest child in the class who had only just settled!!! We had our Ofsted in October and a few of the children were still finding it hard to settle............guess which child the Ofsted Inspector spoke too!!! So I had to deal with sick and tears with no help from the Ofsted Inspector!! (My TA had nipped to the loo as she was on playground duty next!!)

The inspector stayed in our Foundation Stage Unit for almost 2hours on the morning then popped back for 15 mins in the afternoon.

The grading is now satisfactory good and outstanding. We got good :) and were told they couldnt give us outstanding as we hadnt been opperating as a unit long enough to be judged??????

The inspector stayed in our Foundation Stage Unit for almost 2hours on the morning then popped back for 15 mins in the afternoon.

The grading is now satisfactory good and outstanding. We got good :)  and were told they couldnt give us outstanding as we hadnt been opperating as a unit long enough to be judged??????

47211[/snapback]

We got 'satisfactory' - we were told that our school would not be able to achieve anything above satisfactory as our school's SAT results were only satisfactory........steam coming out of ears!!! I much prefer the old system where at least their judgements were based on several observations and, more importantly, discussions where you can fight your corner!!

Sorry to be dense but are the gradings awarded as a school or to a class? If it's to a class how can anyone possibly make a judgement based on observing for 10 minutes?

Sorry to be dense but are the gradings awarded as a school or to a class? If it's to a class how can anyone possibly make a judgement based on observing for 10 minutes?

47215[/snapback]

Foundation Stage has its own section on the Ofsted report. They only came to see me - not the other two teachers. Therefore, their judgement was on the 10 minutes (start of snack time) when they came to see me. I asked the Ofsted Inspector to come back and see a 'lesson' but she didn't. Their main focus was SATs.....................mind you, several of my friends have had better Ofsted experiences than myself!! As a school, we felt very hard done by as we are not a 'SATs' school and we promote the 'wider' curriculum. All Ofsted were bothered about was Literacy and Numeracy. Oh well, onwards and upwards and all that!

The grading is now satisfactory good and outstanding. We got good :)  and were told they couldnt give us outstanding as we hadnt been opperating as a unit long enough to be judged??????

47211[/snapback]

Oh Marion that sounds familiar! My pre-school setting has been running for over 20 years and to extend the setting we opened a second site. This had to have a new registration and we were inspected 6 months after opening. In the five outcomes we got 2 outstandings and 3 goods but the inspector said the same as you were told - we couldn't have overall outstanding because we were a new setting!!! :o She also said she wished there was something in between good and outstanding that she could have awarded!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)