Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Birth To Three Matters

We've been recently oftsed inspected and we are in the process of introducing assessment books for each child within our care. I work with children aged 2-3 years and i wondered whether it would be possible to see some ideas as we have do clue where to start. We have just picked out the headings from the birth to three matters and listed the outcomes the children should be achieving. Has anyone got any ideas, please?

Thank you

Emma xXx

we are using the sound learning booklets for the children. i have purchased the two folders from the web site . they are £22 each but they have all the photocopies you will ever need. they are easy to use and as the format for both is the same it is nice to have one booklet to hand to the parents at the end of the child's time with us .

we have just done the birth to three matters training course and the trainers like the format so much they now have copies to show others.

Hi

We are using hop, skip and jump these are on the back of our foundation stage sheets. It is a new system introduced in may 05. We have children ranging from 2 to when they go to school, this way we can use the same sheets. It was introduced as part of the swindon record keping system.

We just highlight when a child can do it, just like we do with the foundation stage. hope this makes sense.

Peggy, have you used any of their resources? If so, do you know what they are like - there are just so many companies out there producing all this stuff

Nikki

I have met Fiona Corfield and attended several of her training sessions as she used to work for our LEA. She is incredible - a veritable wonder woman who really sings from the same hymn sheet as the average Foundation Stage Forum member! Totally child-centred. In fact, she is the only person I know who, when her early years class was inspected by Ofsted, had a tent/camping role play area set up (think the point of the training I was on was using portable role play boxes with 'real' objects in)and when the inspector looked inside the tent two of the children were tucked up in their sleeping bags and fast asleep. When the inspector pointed this out to Fiona she had just the right answer (can't remember what it was) and the inspector went away very happy!!! Impressive eh?

Her course material is very useful and generally user-friendly but I haven't had experience of the material offered on the website.

Peggy, have you used any of their resources?  If so, do you know what they are like - there are just so many companies out there producing all this stuff

Nikki

47172[/snapback]

Not as such. My new member of staff (started November) used to be a childminder. She got an outstanding from the Inspector for her record keeping. She used record sheets for BTT from the childminders book on the site.

Under each Area, Componant ( whatever they are called-still getting my head around it all :o ) the sheet lists Developmental and learning characteristics, ie for "A strong child" one is; Demonstrates the confidence to verbalise their preferences and intentions e.g. "I want to sit next to James". or Shows a strong sense of self e.g. will at times question and query the requests and ideas of others. ( and we all know this can be done non-verbally at this age)

These are on A5 size, so only need 2 X A4 size sheets to cover all 4 Areas.

I am looking at them to see if I can use them for an overall development check but I personally don't like checklists as the only way to record development.

I still feel very strongly that the individual child" MUST determine the style of recording, in other words, from observations, knowledge of child development and the BTTM components, we should be able to record just what the child can do and how we as adults have supported, guided and acknowledged their successes. These will not fit into written criteria because the amount and the range of styles and individualism of each childs development cannot be written in a check list, it's impossible.

I think the BTTM written guidance should be used to fit the child, not the child having to fit into the BTTM guidance. (if you see what I mean). I think it is more important to ensure staff working with under 3's have a sound knowledge of child development, and developmental norms and that they can engage with these very young children. Our evidence to Ofsted should be what they observe, the environment, the interaction, the partnership with parents, the keyworker relationship and most importantly their observations of the child, then they can look at the written records. xD

Peggy

Maybe it's just me...... :o

How do you order the publications on the Corfield site????

47197[/snapback]

Good question,

this is the link to their contact page, all I can suggest is phone or email them and ask. xD

contact corfield

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)