Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

High Frequency Words

Hi all

A group in my class at the moment are progressing well with recognition of high frequency words for reception in their high frequency word books. However they are not applying them to reading in other areas. If they come across the word outside the context of their high frequency word book it's as if they have never seen it before. Any tips on how i can help them apply their knowledge to reading in other areas?

Lola

Not sure what structure your 'high frequency words' books take, but I'm wondering whether the words are not isolated enough, as in, they appear on the page with other words? When I was in reception we used to teach the words as flash cards - that way, only one at a time - focusing on only maybe 5 each week, so as not to overload. The chidlren were not only had to 'read' the word, but we also encouraged them to think up a sentence with that word in, then it would be scribed (on to plain laminated card, so it could be wiped off and used again) and placed under the word. That way they are seeing it in context as well.

We also used to look at big books during whole class sessions and see whether any children could spot one of their words on the page: recognise it, identify it, point to it and read it. Which is slightly different to reading the words when reading one-to-one or in small groups.

This could all be stuff you're already doing, but it's just a thought.

Hi

The Action Words Scheme is really good. I like the fact that after following the Jolly Phonics with actions, that this continues with actions.

www.actionwords.co.uk

Action words is a resource designed by a school in Cleavland each of the high frequency words has a ciresponding action to help reinforce it. There is a teachers book with activities and resources available to support the teaching of the words. Will look for the link and post it.

Thanks Marion,

I mentioned to our Literacy coordinator today that so many people on this site used actions words and seem to find it very useful. She is now looking into buying it to start in reception and then be used through yr1 and 2 so fingers crossed!

Lola

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)