Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fs To Ks1 Records

Is anyone else having problems with the transition from FSP to NC levels? It seems to be such a problem in our school!! I would be interested to hear how other schools manage.

I was under the impression that FS profile scores should not be translated into NC levels. At the last school (which I left at Christmas) I was FS co-ordinator and was asked to level the children at the end of Reception but it was impossible! I suggested that the children were not assessed on NC levels until at least Christmas of Year One when they had settled into new class and teacher had got to know them. Don't know if this was right but how can you assess children on a curriculum they have not been taught.

Agree Gill but is it not generally recognised that if children are working within ELGs (re profile scores) then they are working at NC level 1 and will either be working beyond goals ( profile point 9) or working towards?

Yes but if children are levelled too high at end of Reception then you are setting them up to fail in Year One or at least that will be how it appears. I was given a list of how someone thought the profile scores translated to NC levels but they were ridiculously high and it was not as simple as eg a ? was level 1C acroos all areas it varied depending whether it was number, reading, writing etc, and in some cases some of my children were already a 1A/2C!! The pressure on these children throughout y1/2 would have been enormous. Why do we have to rush to level children. The profile scores in my understanding were never intended to be translated to NC levels.

Hi Judy, Just read this thread and would be very interested in knowing what is Flying Start2? Is it some kind of assessment tool? Love to know emma :o

Hi Judy, Just read this thread and would be very interested in knowing what is Flying Start2? Is it some kind of assessment tool? Love to know emma :o

Is anyone else having problems with the transition from FSP to NC levels? It seems to be such a problem in our school!! I would be interested to hear how other schools manage.

46977[/snapback]

:o Our LEA produced a document showing where the links between f/s and nc . This helped with planning issues in the transistion period. Maybe your LEA has something like this?

Marion - have just downloaded the Flying Start and my brain has shut down. How long does that take to do? ????????

I was of the understanding too that the the FS Profile was NEVER intended to be converted or matched up to NC levels.

FS have a separate curriculum, with its own assessment and people just need to stick that in their pipes and smoke it. They can use the NC levels when the children are ready to follow the NC.

Don't suppose this helps much!

It is an ongoing assessment scheme and as such takes very little time to keep up to date. The information it generates is processed by the LEA to inform the Foundation Stage Profiles. The scheme is used by all/ most Durham school (I think!)

:o

Yes Marion, we use it but do the paper copies.

47323[/snapback]

we have just had a ofsted type inspection for our own benefit as a primary school. he really liked this way of assessment (the durham one) We got outstanding by the way!!!! he had a good suggestion of including home visit as the first assessment. x

FS elgs link to aspects of the NC, across several levels , but as the FS curriculum supports affective as well as cognitive development it is a different type of curriculum - think how much emphasis is put on attitudes to books in reading say, where the NC is just concerned with the process of reading, so although there are similariities, I always tell our schools that they should be using FSCG for fs and NC levels in Y1 when they have something of the Y1 curriculum to assess it against. (Oh and so does our KS1 consultant who supports transition with me)

These are really questions for Marion - I'd be really grateful if you could help me out. I had looked at the Durham assessment thingy but now I can't download it for some reason - it comes up with an 'error' message :o . Also, could you explain to me, very simply (I'm a bit thick!) how you use this. It's difficult for me to be more specific because I haven't got it to look at! Thanks ever so much!

Thanks ever so much Marion - I really appreciate you doing all that work for me. I've had a quick glance and it looks really clear. You're a star :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)