About Us
Tapestry

Need Help Again

Need help again! :o

Friend is going for an interview, and she has been asked to prepare

*a topic web to develop the theme of the Enormour Turnip for 6 weeks

*detailed plans for the first week of the theme

*a plan for the first day to introduce the theme for all areas of learning

For the latter she has to have it prepared for the intervew day and present to a small group of children.

Has anyone done a web topic on the Enourmous Turnip?

Is there anything that she could possibly have to tweak for said interview?

Many thanks,

Mella :)

6 weeks for one story is a very long time - the kids will be sick of turnips by then I would have thought!! However, whether I would be brave enough to say it at interview is questionable, if I was doing this in real life perhaps a week with that story and then move onto other stories about food, or farms or whatever. What age are we talking here?

Off the top of my head I can only think of the obvious:

PSE - helping others, healthy eating, everyone is important

CLL - word bank of "enormous" words, things that begin with "t" or sorting veg's by intial letters, using turnip soup recipes, writing instructions, seed packets etc, role play farmer's kitchen

M - mass and comparative size, counting, ordinal number, sorting (veg's, seeds) measuring

KUW - planting and growing, describing seeds, vegetables, comparing cooked and raw, following a recipe, cooking, making character masks, pulling things, naming parts of a plant

Ph - chopping veg, sorting seeds, making clay models, tug of war, digging outside

C - veg prints, seed collages, messy play mud pies and plastic veg(!not sure how tenuous that sounds!) re-enact the story using children in role or children make stick puppets of characters and retell, small world farmyard

nothing very original I know but just what I could think of off the top of my head.

Good luck to your friend and let us know whether she gets the job.

I would be interested to see a topic web of 6 weeks on one story like that if she wouldn't mind!

Thank you

The things that spring to my mind are:

Team building

helping each other

similar sized seeds grow to different sizes

pepole who help us

But what she needs are some activites that encompass the above

what do you think?

Many thanks

Mella :o

all I can think of is to give the kids a real problem, like the ones these business exec's get for team building - a huge obstacle to move and only a lollistick and an elastic band, or whatever is realistic in the classroom in your friends case. Maybe a big box with some rollers and ropes - can they work out how to move it together? again it woiuld depend on the age of the kids she is being given - couldn't see three's doing that but maybe a reception group?

Judy

Do you think that this is what they mean, to broaden out the six weeks planning.

I agree with you six weeks on one story is a long time.

The topic web could become 'Growing' and the story of The Enormous Turnip could be one of the stories

Do you think this is the way to go? :o

I think the big problem might be that she has to do 3 activities on the day but she will only be told then which area of learning she has to cover, so she will have to go with activities for all the areas of learning.

Many thanks

Mella :o

I've just found a super book at school which is a twist on 'The Enormous Turnip': all the 'helpers' are nursery rhyme/traditional story characters e.g. the 3 little pigs, Red Riding Hood, Humpty Dumpty etc. It's a bit like 'Each Peach Pear Plum' I suppose. At the end, when they pull up the turnip, it's been eaten by a caterpillar who says he was very hungry which I took to be a reference to Eric Carle's 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar'. This could then lead off into looking at nursery rhymes/traditional stories.

With regards to just 'turnip' activities could you 'be scientists' and look at turnip seeds with magnifying glasses/microscopes; sort different seeds; see how many seeds you could pick up, using tweezers, in a minute; design seed packets; try cooked turnip (yuk!), observing how it's different from raw turnip; make a 'gym' - obstacle course, pretend dumb bells, jogging round the outside area etc to get fit for pulling up the turnip; colour mixing paint to match the shades on a turnip; find out how many e.g. carrots weigh the same as a turnip; order turnips by size; have muddy turnips and wash them so they're ready to be eaten...um, have run out of steam now!

Trad._Tales_Enormous_Turnip.docWe are a sessional pre-school and my guess is you are looking for something for Reception. However, I've attached our weekly plan (the one we show the parents) in case you can find something useful on it. There is loads of learning in this book but I doubt you could pad it out for 6 weeks and maintain the children's interest.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Edited by Guest

Me too - I have tried saving it as reuested but then it says i cannot find the source -

Well done to all those who managed to squeeze every bit of learning out of the enormous turnip - left no stone unturned!! 6 weeks though - a long time to keep it going though - but might jsut be manageable with all the things people have posted here.

Nikki

Thank you all for your help. I will let you know how she gets on.

Lisa, sorry to bother you again but still having problems opening your file.

Moose, sounds a good book, can you tell me the name of it? :o

Sorry it's taken a couple of days! I didn't read the request for the book title until last night, couldn't remember it and so had to wait until I came back into school today!

The title of the book is 'The Enormous Turnip' by Gerald Hawksley, published by Treehouse Children's Books Ltd, ISBN 1- 85576-177-7

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)