Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonic Sorting Activity

I want to set up some kind of fairly continuous sorting activity for initial sounds, we have limited space and funds, ideally would like space for each sound, magazine files and shoe boxes would take up too much space, have thought of using a shoe tidy but can't find one anywhere (any suggestions..!), am now thinking of only having a few sounds at one time, and maybe using baskets with sound written inside on the carpet with a box of items....

this seems to me to be such a nice simple activity, but the practicalities of it are doing my head in in a limited space, any ideas anyone...

cheers

I have a biggish, magnetic whiteboard that stands up. I stick up magnetic letters and have printed off, and laminated, lots of clip-art that shows CVC words e.g. van, pot, bat, dog etc. I stick up 5 pictures at a time and change these regularly. The children can then either find the magnet letter that shows the initial sound of a picture or have a go at forming CVC words. Is that the kind of thing you meant?

We use photocopier paper boxes with a hole cut in the side and use these for different sorting activities (letters numbers, topic themes etc) We have a set of 5 painted boxes which are regularly investigated independantly in foundation class

Alphabottles (idea in EYE this month)

Plastic bottles, tiny toys/objects beginning with initial sound. They said not to worry if you had one or more same sound objects variety being the key!

Put objects into bottle fill with fine coloured sand /rice or they suggested cous cous. Leave enough room for movement when you shake the bottle

+ a little glitter+ alphabet confetti /sequins Glue top on. Let me know if you do it and whether it works!!!!!

Barb

• 2 weeks later...

I was standing in Ottakers the other day, leafing through the education books trying to memorise things because I felt too mean to buy anything xD and I saw this idea and thought of this topic. Basically you get matchboxes and cover them so they look nice. You then write on an initial sound, print out lots of little pictures that would fit in a matchbox and use these for sorting. I don't know if children would like it but it really appealed to me: sorting little things into little spaces, things in order...oops, I think my obsessive compulsive disorder is showing!

Must go now - I need to alphabetise my CDs... :o

Edited by Guest

I have seen little pots with the letter sound/blend on the front filled with little objects/pictures beginning with that sound. They are very expensive to buy xD

I have been meaning to make some up myself using plastic take away containers it's just the whole time factor thing!

Like the idea about the whiteboard/pics/magnetic letters Moose and those bottles sound fun...

I must get around to making something up - thanks for reminding me! :o

I made my own alphabet pots up - went to a pound shop and bought 26 little plastic containers and found most of my stuff in the classroom - you'll be surprised what you find when you start looking. I also had a little selection of counting objects that I had bought from Early Learning Centre that I topped them up with - very handy. Clipart pickies come in handy for the more difficult letters and I labelled the boxes and the lids so that I can mix the lids up too and they have to match capital to lower case etc. Didn't work out too expensive either - better than the ridiculous price in YPO!!!!

Hope that helps.

Hi Susan! :D

I have actually been back since Sept :(

It was really tough for the first term as Thomas was only just 3 months when I returned. I only work Wednesday afternoon then all day Thurs & Fri. It is easier now, but I still feel pulled in all directions. I love my job, but I never seem to have enough time! (I never did full time though either!!!). I love being a mum and he is such a lovely boy full of giggles & smiles. I will put a photo of him in the lounge area for you all to see!

Now we have a new computer - hope to check-in more regularly!! xD

....now where is my 'to do' list.....?! :o

• 2 weeks later...

will be off to the pound shop tomorrow to get lots of little pots, also really like the phonic discovery bottle idea, but am really struggling to think of objects for every sound that are small enough to fit into a bottle

any suggestions welcomed!!!

will be off to the pound shop tomorrow to get lots of little pots, also really like the phonic discovery bottle idea, but am really struggling to think of  objects for every sound that are small enough to fit into a bottle

any suggestions welcomed!!!

49255[/snapback]

we used empty chinese take away conatainers (see through ones with a lid) for our sound boxes.It didn't take to long to collect enough, with all the girls at work saving them.

small objects and pictures were found to fill them. The children really enjoy using them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)