Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Thru Music

Does anybody know of any good cds that can be used to aid children's learning within the classroom? ie. linked to Numeracy/Literacy or other subjects, or to 'inspire', 'calm' etc. Head wants a push on the use of music in lesson time (not just when music is taught). Would be grateful for any ideas and advice!

There's Jolly Jingles for phonics (Jolly phonics) and there's Tom Thumb's Musical Maths (but I don't know if this one comes with a CD).

Hi there,

We use alphabet and number tapes on our listening centre daily, the children love them and are always singing the songs afterwards.

Try accelerated learning.

Nicola Call also has some stuff on her web site and there are lots of ideas within her books "The Thinking Child"

Cant remember the web addresses off hand but Im sure Google would help!

Don't know if they are too young for your age group but think you cold still use them they are called "Out of the Ark". very catchy tunes and they have songs now for the Mini beasts, People who help us. also great ones for each season. they have a web site www.outoftheark.com. Great company :D

I use many differnt types of classic CD's in Nursery (the ones that came free in the sunday papers a while ago!) . I just put them on in the background- it helps with the noise level and does help create a 'calm' atmosphere. We try to use any ryhmes and songs in all areas- can't think of any off the top of my head at the mo.

Does anybody know of any good cds that can be used to aid children's learning within the classroom? ie. linked to Numeracy/Literacy or other subjects, or to 'inspire', 'calm' etc. Head wants a push on the use of music in lesson time (not just when music is taught). Would be grateful for any ideas and advice!

46830[/snapback]

There is a good list with the SEAL materials suggesting music to suit different feelings aswell as those that are calming.

We are currently playing classical Chinese music in the background (CNY :o ) and if we forget to start the CD the children are asking for it. :D

Edited by MARl0N

When they first start at school we always start the afternoon with a Quiet time when everyone lies down on a cushion or bean bag and rests with music in background. I use music when the children come into school in the morning - often this will be nursery rhymes or children's TV themes. We play music when they have snack & get changed for PE.

I use any "chillout" classical CDs and compilations of classical music. Asda have some at the moment to relax to called "Body & Soul" and they are similar to the stuff played when you go for a massage. They have been effective calmers! I use "Music Express for the Foundation Stage" for other music - they have a great Three Bears Rap.

Hi spam 80

I use music as a signal that an activity has finished and it is time to tidy up. Hence there is always lots of little blasts of music coming out of the cd player during the day. I find the best music is pan pipes as they calm us all down and we do hand and arm mvts will we wait for everyone to be seated.

First thing before the register I often make up a story to go with actions and movts which stimulates their imaginations and makes them focus on me.

I think you will benefit ( I know I did) from having more music in the room as the children respond so well to it.

Trudie

There's a web site called Can teach (if I remember correctly) that has rhymes and songs on a variety of themes. I have used these for topics such as autumn, colours and spiders :D

Also, www.kididdles.com has lots of songs that you might find useful

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)