Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Differential Achievement In Ed By Social Class

[/b]TOPIC: Differential achievement in educational by social class:

As part of my research project i have to conduct primary and secondary research, which i have done no problems. I am absolutely stuck on finding some more theories, i have gathered lots of news reports and have theories by durkheim etc, but i haven't got much theory to go into the assignment and i've hit a dead wall. Has anyone got any ideas.

Thank you for all your replies they have made such an improvement i started to look in a different way at the foundation stage so thank you all!!!!!!!!!

Any ideas??

Emma xXx :o

Emma I may be way off target here, but wondered whether you could use social learning theory [bandura et al I think] and Brofennbrenner's [sp?] social ecology model?

I also seem to remember something about restricted codes that was Bernstein I think - basically children from 'lower' classes were not supposed to achieve so well because of the restricted language levels of their background, much of which was refuted in 'Young Children Learning' by Tizard & Hughes.

There must be other sociocultural theorists; I'm sure we had a less well known one for our European Studies model, but can't remember his name. Some of the philosophers e.g. Bourdieu & Foucault may have something to contribute, too.

Hope there's something useful in the mix here!

Emma I may be way off target here, but wondered whether you could use social learning theory [bandura et al I think] and Brofennbrenner's [sp?] social ecology model?

I also seem to remember something about restricted codes that was Bernstein I think - basically children from 'lower' classes were not supposed to achieve so well because of the restricted language levels of their background, much of which was refuted in 'Young Children Learning' by Tizard & Hughes.

There must be other sociocultural theorists; I'm sure we had a less well known one for our European Studies model, but can't remember his name. Some of the philosophers e.g. Bourdieu & Foucault may have something to contribute, too.

Hope there's something useful in the mix here!

46765[/snapback]

thank you for your reply, thats a great help, aspects i'd never thougt about. i've just been reading about burnstein looks interesting for a change.

thakyou

Emma xXx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)