Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pe Games

Hi,

Has any one got any ideas of games that i can play with my reception class but that i can relate to plants, butterflies or frog life cyles? my theme is growing and ive been asked to base my PE on games, which is a shame as the topic lends it self to dance really well! :o i had loads of ideas but now i cant use them!

arh well, hope you can help

emma x

The only one I can think of Tigger is based on ladders. Children sit opposite their partners feet touching and create a ladder....or in this case Jaspers Beanstalk. 2 children pretend to water the first pair, that pair (the watered pair) then run around the outside of the beanstalk to the top then run/jump over each of the other pairs legs to sit back down where they were. Then the next pair goes. We usually play this either with two teams to beat each other or I turn a 3 minute egg timer over and say that when the sand runs through the giant comes so they must beat the giant. I don't know if I have explained this very well???????????

and do they manage not to fall on one another's legs, dougal? I've never dared play that with such young children in case cooordination is not as good as it should/ could be!!?

Sorry Tigger, cant think of anything at the moment. Seems odd that you cant follow your dance ideas though.

The trick is to leave larger gaps between the sets of pairs- so it is like a ladder with spaced out rungs! They do really well and it is one of their favourite games.

Another game is lilypads..a quick game..space out some pe mats around the hall shout hop the frogs hop around the pads when you say fish they have to jump onto a lily pad....last ones to get on sit out....keep playing but remove mats one at a time.It is like a mat version of musical chairs but each time you ask them to hop, jump or leap.

Dougal xx

cheers guys,

I no it is weird that she wont let me do the activities that i wanted but she said this term they were covering dance and its planned for games to be covered when i start my practise so i have to help develop their game skills because they have very little!, but ive never taught games before so it shud be fun!

thanks for your ideas so far! does any one know of anymore? ive got to teach quite a few! :D

Thanks again,

Emma x

Well I like to play a game called 'Beans' with my classes. I've done it with reception and my class now love it (well those that can join in with it). It's really great for a warm up and getting their brains going.

Basic rules are you move around the room till a type of bean is shouted out by the caller (usually me, although I have passed it onto kids before) they then have to act in a certain way:

Runner beans= run on the spot

Jumping beans= jump up and down on the spot

Baked beans= lay on the ground and act like a dead fly (arms and legs up in the air!)

String beans= make yourself as tall and thin as possible.

You can add your own ideas too- lots of fun!

These are all lovely ideas Tigger but I think you need to find out what is meant by "games" in case you should be teaching something that is more specific such as rounders, although Im not sugggesting that as a possibility!!

hi,

yeh my teacher said anything that involves skills that will be later used in games, such as catching, throwing, aiming etc (in later years they do rounders, cricket etc) but as im going to be observed on at least 2 PE lessons she wants me to try an link as many as possible to the theme growing, which is where im finding it hard to do so

emma x

I play a "pulling" game with the parachute. basically all the children pull together to try and pull me towards them, then of course with my mighty strength I pull them back again. :D

or...Is tug-of-war appropriatte for your age group? ( both very tenuous links to "Giant turnip" pulling vegetables from the ground)

Parachute also lends itself to forming a "mushroom", lift parachute in air as it comes down the canvas is held behing the back as all the holders crouch in a circle ( sorry quite difficult to explain)

Peggy

How about labelling waste paper bins as diff sorts of flowers and then pretending balls/ bean bags are insects visiting the flowers and they have to aim correctly to get into flower to collect nectar. This would probably only be ok for a group at a time.

Put markers in a line across floor, dribble,roll ball in and out markers (with feet, hands, hockey sticks)...markers could be pond weed, ball could be tadpoles swimming in and out pond weed

Trudie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)