Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

C11 Ke 5 & 6

Hi .

Please help with the following,

the variety of ways in which children seek to communicate and how these may support or substitute each other.

also the varying age at which children develop their discriminatory and sterotypical ideas

Many thanks. been assessed on c11, just cap filling the knowledge evidance

Hi Dan,

For the first part, sounds like they're getting at the use of non-verbal communication - gesture, facial expression, eye contact,body language etc. Might also involve things like written symbols if you're covering up to 8 years. Even possibly having a go at signing e.g. Makaton or BSL, or being prepared to have a go at talking in a language that's not your won first language.

Not so sure about the second one. I know the concept of gender roles develops hugely from about 4 years - gender as opposed to sex. That's apparently when you start to get some of the stereotypical behaviour because some children seem to think that if, for instance, a boy wears a dress he might actually turn into a girl! I think it's called gender constancy or something like that.

Seems to me stereotypical behaviour ties in with the emergence of self-image and finding out 'who I am': 'me and mine are like this, do this & that & the other - these people are not like us' which is why they need challenging early so that children are aware there's an alternative view of things.

Hope that's of some help & sorry if I've waffled on!

Don't know if it will help but I have found that parents attitudes strongly affect the early development of childrens discriminatory, stereotypical views.

Peggy

Hi don't know if it helps but I would have put that often children will use body language to support something they want to say or do. like being told they can't do something they will pout and fold their arms, to show that they are not going to do what they are asked. on the other side they will jump up and down to get a person attention. the more vocal they get the more body language tends to take a back seat, but I don't think facial expressions ever do. Most children their faces reflect how they feel. do you not have a chart in your NVQ book on developmental stages for communication. hope that helps

steph

KE6:

When children enter pre-school at around 3 years of age, they will have already observed, and been receptive to, the remarks and beliefs of the adults around them. When they begin to play with other children, in the role play area for instance, they will hear or say remarks such as; A boy can't be a nurse, or a girl can't be a builder, these ideas then being put in their minds if not there already.

The children need to be explained to about gender and how a boy can be a nurse and a girl can be a builder so puzzles and books that depict this are ideal.

HTH

Sharon

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)