Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pets Topic Ideas Please

Hi. We had pets week last week. We asked for photos of your pet (or a pet you know or a picture of one you would like - to cover everyone) We then arranged for visits from a guide dog, hearing dog (pets can be helpful too) snake, hamster and two puppies. We drew our favourite 'animal' visitor and made pet masks from paper plates and sticks.

We read 'I want a cat' read the Cats poem by the lady with the funny name and of course Dear Zoo. Dear Zoo had follow up work - children wrote their own 'letter' to the zoo. We are currently putting up the photos for a 'Our Pets' display.

Nothing amazing but the children really did seem to enjoy it - they all had something to say!

:) Thanks bungalow that was really useful we haven't done pets before and thought it might be fun! We thought about taking them to pets at home. we'd like to buy a pet but were told we are not allowed to do this any more! :o

Mottie

hi there.

what about getting some fish?

low maintenance and the children have an actual pet to look after.

we have recently got some in our nursery and the children really love them. they spend lots of time just watching them x

Mottie what a shame you are not allowed to keep a pet - in our nusery we have two gold fish, a budgie and lots (far too many to count) stick insects. I contacted our LEA before we got them and was told that although we needed to have a 'named person' responsible for their care and to ensure that children washed hands thoroughly after handling or feeding them, we were allowed to have them. Our children love them, and they are a real bonus when we are settling new children :) .

We contacted the RSPCA and got an education officer to visit. She talked to the children about how to look after pets, linking their needs to our own needs (Reception).

Our favourite pets graph (pictogram)

Lots of great books about pets. One I'm fond of is "The Most Obedient Dog in the World". Also "Six Dinner Sid" and the Mog books.

We are doing pets and animals too. This website has half term plans for "Friends and other animals". There are also weekly plans based on books about animals. Go to Documents from the main page and then look for the half term plans bit and then the weekly plans bit.

http://www.nurseryclasshcp.ik.org/

I hope you follow that. I had a look and thought it was very good.

Sue

:D

Edited by sss65

Hi,

We tried to get the RSPCA in but they said they had a very long waiting list so I contacted a local vet. They came in free of charge, brought a nurse and some animals, it was really great- they also supplied us with posters and stickers and equipmant for our role play animal hospital too! We took the chldren to a local dog kennels (just across the road) the children loved it!

I would contact your local vet though even if only to get some great resources/pictures.

Dougal xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)