Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Traditional Stories

Hi,

Im a newby on here and was really hoping you could help me,

im a student just about to undertake my final teacher training practice and have been given the topics 'growing' and 'traditional stories' to cover. ive got a general idea of what to cover for growing (although any ideas would be much appreciated!!)

but im stuck on traditional stories. i keep changing my mind on what to do! :o

ive been asked to cover one story each week and have 3 weeks of practice with this topic. i was thinking goldilocks, little red riding hood and 3 little pigs, but after seeing some of the ideas on here im such as the cinderella wedding! im tempted to try something creative but as its my last practice ive been told to keep it simple, what do you think? xD

sorry if im waffling! but any ideas on what stories i should do and any creative activities would be fantastic! ive got some but there pretty basic,

many thanks!

emma x

Hi Emma, have you seen the growing topic on the forum, you can get to it by clicking here, it's all thanks to our very own Sue R. :D

Traditional tales, my favourite is Goldilocks, I like to read 'Beware of the Bears' alongside it. I think there is a story from the wolfs point of view regarding his visits to the 3 pigs too but i cant remember the name of it. A book by David Henry Wilson, called 'Theres a wolf in my pudding' has a different slant on some of the traditional stories, always went down a storm with my son. Hope all goes well for you. :D

I love Jack and the Beanstalk too, and it fits in well with growing. The children love joining in with the chanting. Music could be making giant footsteps (slow and heavy) and Jack (quick, quiet and fast), up and down a glockenspeil (higher and lower). Lots of role play. The ideas are endless!

If you want extra alternative readers for this one there's Jim and the Beanstalk by Raymond Briggs(?) The children love this one - especially the picture where the giant puts on the wig. The latter book also lends itself to lots of measuring activities, so good for mathematical development.

Also Jasper's Beanstalk - which I always read when doing 'growing'.

Hope these help.

Harricroft

Hi

We used the Gingerbread Man as a short weekly topic just before Christmas - great fun with the children - used ginger to spice things up, baking, role play - bakers shop, used sand paper and drew around shape cutter, and decorated with braid and currants, children loved playing chase games to run run as fast as you can . . . hope this helps..... :)

Our topic this term is traditional tales. We started by asking the children which were their favourite stories and made mini books of them.

We built 'houses' for the 3 little pigs (out of our small world farm) from all the different construction sets to see which was strongest (duplo)

We've also done gingerbread men this week. We didn't use cutters, just let the children mould the dough into shape. great fun.

Another success was the ugly troll pictures for 3 billy goats Gruff

We had a fantastic week of stories set in castles with a castle in the role play area

Not much help in making up your mind but in your place I would choose your own favourites if you are limited to only 3.

Hi Emma,

Just want to add an idea you might want to try. It works well with the Three Little Pigs.

Cover a table with white/light paper - sellotaped down. Then for a group activity ask the children to draw and/or make a 3D 'story map' of the story. They can start my drawing in things, then the straw house can be added etc. When finished it can be used by the children to re-tell the story and left for a couple of days or whenever.

I have used this idea many, many times over the years (!) and it has never failed me yet. I often drag it out if I am being observed etc. Good luck and welcome!

HI Emma and welcome! :D

Lots of lovely ideas and I think I would start with "Jack and the Beanstalk" as this provides a link with your growing topic (assuming you are doing "growing" first?). Choose your other stories by the resources that you can find, or perhaps another castle based story such as "Cinderella"?

Depending on your location and the cultural background of your children, you might want to avoid "3 little pigs" as it is generally frowned upon in the Muslim community. Pigs are taboo.

Good luck and have fun.

Cheers guys some really great ideas!

I think im deffinatly going to do the enormous turnip, jaspers beanstalk and the hungry cat with growing, and possible start traditional stories with jack and the beanstalk as they link so well! plus just above the role play area there is a trap door so i cud make a beanstalk to go up the wall across the ceiling and up through the loft! you never know the kids might beileve theres a giant up there!

I really like the idea of getting them to make a 3D story map, do you think it would work as well for goldilocks? as the other teacher is doing 3 little pigs once ive gone,

thanks again for ur ideas there much appreciated!

emma x

Hi Emma,  have you seen the growing topic on the forum, you can get to it by clicking here, it's all thanks to our very own Sue R.  :D 

Traditional tales, my favourite is Goldilocks, I like to read 'Beware of the Bears' alongside it. I think there is a story from the wolfs point of view regarding his visits to the 3 pigs too but i cant remember the name of it. A book by David Henry Wilson, called 'Theres a wolf in my pudding' has a different slant on some of the traditional stories, always went down a storm with my son. Hope all goes well for you.  :D

46492[/snapback]

I think the book you're thinking of is The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, where everything was accidental and coincidental.

oooh i think ive used that with my year 2 class 2 years ago, they loved it! we did some really good work by looking at the story from a different point of view, children can have really good imaginations!

i really appreciate the ideas ive given me, but im struggling a bit on maths activities that i can do based on plants, (except for measuring heights, shapes that can make flowers etc) think im going to cover the life cycle of a butterfly (symmetry paintings of the wings) and life cycle of a frog too but ive not got that many ideas

could anyone help??? :o

emma x

If it's not too early/late to plant things you could measure depth, different bulbs need to be planted at different depths, spacing, how close together they can be planted, and time, how long before they break the surface. If you put bean seeds into a clear plastic bag and hang it on the window you will see the roots growing. Make charts of when seeds can be planted, when they grow and when they can be harvested, (I'm thinking along the lines of my seed packets for my allotment). :D

You can buy butterfly growing kits from insect lore I think, never tried them but people on here have and with great sucsess. :D

leaf/ flower biscuits! like it! any excuse to cook ive got such a sweet tooth! i never thought of measuring depth thanks!, im trying to get my teacher to get the butterfly kits instead of frog spawn (i have a little fear of frogs!) cheers guys some great ideas many thanks!

emma x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)