Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fluorescent Lighting Is Bad For Children?

Guest tinkerbell

Guest tinkerbell

Hi

Walked into a collegues KS1 classroom and they were working in the dark.I was told according to research fluorescent lighting is bad for the children. I will ask tomorrow what research? and is not working in the dark bad for the children?Can anyone fill me in ???

Thanks Tinkerbell

I'd be interested in what you find out, our hall is fluescent lighting and we have small high windows. We consciously try to get the children out in daylight as often as possible.

One parent suggested we put coloured paper over the light guards to soften and change the harshness of them-not sure what colour she suggested :o .

Peggy

I seem to remember hearing something a while ago about sensitive people developing headaches when they're under fluorescent lights. There's also the flickering effect that could possibly trigger epilpetic fits I guess. I think you have to be careful to replace the tubes as soon as you can when they start showing signs that they're 'going'.

If it was that harmful to everyone, I'm pretty sure OFSTED would have mentioned it!

I think Peggy's got a good point about maximising use of natural light. Outdoor play is probably important for children's menatl health, as well as all the other advantages it has!

While fluorescent lighting isnt good for anyone, I feel no light is worse. Our head is beginning to replace ordinary tubes with ones that more closely resemble daylight. Think they are much more expensive SURPRISE SURPRISE!

I vaguely remeber an article on fluorescent lights for people who are light sentivie, especially Dyslexia (sorry if spelling is wrong I go a blank on some words.) I had a mum who couldn't work in fluorescent light she had to wear yellow glasses or pink/purple ones. I think there has been research into but can't remember where I've seen it.

Guest tinkerbell

Thanks everyone for your replies.I did an Ask geeves search last night and typed in Is fluorescent lighting bad for school children?I found an American research article'

Schools, classrooms and other work environments where people spend time learning and working under simulated sunlight (full spectrum lighting and color) experience less stress and anxiety, improved behavior and attitudes, improved health and attendance, and increased performance and academic achievement.

Research in the use of light in schools has shown that cool-white fluorescent bulbs, (which are used in virtually all classrooms) cause: bodily stress, anxiety, hyper-activity, attention problems and other distress leading to poor learning performance.'

I asked my collegue why she was working in the dark and she said she had attended a course (not run by our local authority )and they said fluorescent lighting was bad for you.I said that may be so but the dark would surely be justas bad as the children would be straining their eyes.She said she asked the children what theywanted and i had to say that adults were in charge ,it wasnt a childrens choice thing.The rest of the school all have their lights on unless we are using the interactive whiteboards .

She said she would take on what I said if I made my class room quieter!! The children were too noisy especially the statemented reception child!!!

Tinkerbell

Good grief! I rather fear she wasn't joking! This is a KS1 class and she's the adult. Perhaps if she asked they'd rather not be in school,either, but that's not a choice that's an option, and I don't think working without adequate light is a sensible one either. Perhaps with more research we'll have better lighting options available [but there's still the funding matter, as ever]. For now surely we have to use our common sense - those of us who've got it. [What's the emoticon for tongue in cheek?!]

And sorry if I offend anyone, I'm a non-teacher after all, but I think four and five year olds can't help but be noisy. A statemented child perhaps even more likely to be so. Sounds like she's retaliating to your questioning of her judgement.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)