Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessements

we have just got a new foundation stage manager who does not have a clue about the foundation stage and wants to change the way we do our assessements (wants to change it to fit with ks1 assessemnts!)

i thought they were fine,what do you think, is this suffient and how are you doing yours.

we currently:

1. make ongoing assessements through sticky labels which are them stuck on to area sheets for each child.

2. we then use group assessments if working with a focused group.

3. we also do long observations.

4. we then have at the bottom of the sticky label sheets we have the profile pionts for each area. if the child has achieved them and evidence is there or teacher judgment we highlight it to say they have achieved it. we change the colour with each term to match the profiel booklets.

5. we them fill in the profile on eprofile.

6. the children also have work books were we stick in eviddence or the children take to put in work they are pleased with.

would really apprieciate your ideas and comments.

Sounds absolutely fine to me! :D

If your assessments were to go down the KS1 route, you would surely be testing the children? This is NOT for FS children...

That sounds fine to me as well clk7. It's how i've done foundation stage assessments and used the foundation stage profiles.

I haven't heard of eprofile though? How does that work?

Lu

Hi Clare

your assessments are in line with profile and FS expectations. Perhaps there will be some coures offered in your LEA that your coordinator could go on re profile and moderation? Otherwise the Vicky Hutchins books are easy to read.

Hi Clare,

We do nearly exactly the same as you!! However, this year I have found something else extremely useful, quick and easy to do - whole class observations! I'll attach one to this post. I often accompany it with just one photo - stapled to the sheet - to 'show' the activity. It dosen't work for everything and sometimes needs two goes to get it completed.

From time to time we also do more formal assessments - to cover things we may be lacking in for whatever reason - but I guess these are just like group work assessments. Does this make sense?

I don't think your FS Co-ord should be changing anything - what does she suggest anyway? It all sounds fine to me. You are the one actually doing it, so you know what is needed and what works etc.

Good luck

Class_Observation_Sheet.doc

thanks for all your support and help. its along story really about how she got the job but lets say it was a rushed thing to promote her from a ks1 teacher the fs manager made by a head teacher with no clue about fs.

she has never taught reception and has not bothered to even find out about it. she wants to change it to be in line with ks1 ie level 1, 2 etc i said it should not be like.

really struggling to work with her and myself and the 2 tas are worn out trying to explain things and basically doing her job.

the funniest thing i ever heard from her was when i explained about the planning we do she said "planning, whats that for, dont they just play all day" arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr she things it a doddle in recpetion.

sorry folks thats my moan out the way think i needed to get that off my chest.

thanks again everyone your a life saver!

I feel so sorry for you clk7.What you are doing sounds exactly right to me and I am FS coordinator in first school.We do practically the same thing.As for planning point her in the direction of "Planning for Learning in the Foundation Stage"document QCA I think I can check if you want me to .

Show her the Stepping Stones ,ELG's and how you give them coverage in Long,Medium and Short term planning .

I have just led a whole school staff meeting on the same sort of thing and some of the other staff were surprised how much work goes into planning an ey curriculum and planning for play;Good luck and let us know how you get on

thanks for all your support and help. its along story really about how she got the job but lets say it was a rushed thing to promote her from a ks1 teacher the fs manager made by a head teacher with no clue about fs.

she has never taught reception and has not bothered to even find out about it. she wants to change it to be in line with ks1 ie level 1, 2 etc i said it should not be like.

really struggling to work with her and myself and the 2 tas are worn out trying to explain things and basically doing her job.

the funniest thing i ever heard from her was when i explained about the planning we do she said "planning, whats that for, dont they just play all day" arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr she things it a doddle in recpetion.

sorry folks thats my moan out the way think i needed to get that off my chest.

thanks again everyone your a life saver!

46344[/snapback]

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)