Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role Play - Chinese Take Away/restaurant

WelshMiss

Hello

Im having a chinese restaurant next week. I have made some menus, Chinese writing, I have collected take away menus, I will have a till and money, notepad to take orders, plastic food etc. Hope this helps x

little angel, thank you for some great ideas - I will go round the local take aways tomorrow and get some menus! any more ideas would be very welcome, especially about wall displays to make it colourful, attractive and purposeful!!!! (and cheap!!!)

WelshMiss

They sell plastic Chinese bowls and wok sets in Asda and Tesco that are about £3 for four bowls, a wok and some chopsticks.

We are going to have an actual banquet in the restaurant where the children (at group time) can try a range of chinese food presented as it would be in a restaurant - with chopsticks of course

We also get the children to make lanterns which we hang down from the ceiling. Play Chinese music in the background.

Sue

hi we have had this in the past and will be doing it again next term. I think there is a photo in the gallery somehwhre? We had deep red display paper and gold border and made a large dragons head out of boxes to suspend from the wall (after the children had lots of fun doing a dragon dance.)

I strung fine garden netting from the display wall to the entrance of the role\play area to create a ceiling and then was able to hang chinese lanterns (some bought/some made by the children). We also hung curly red and gold ribbon too. I bought in a wok and wooden chinese cooking tools and the children used wool for noodles. Thats the only problem I found was getting 'food' that resembled chinese food.

I download a few chinese characters and simpified them, wrote the english equivalent underneath and had these in the writing area so that they could have a go (I also got off ebay some chinese paint brushes. (there is a lovely book called 'Shen and the Magic Paintbrush' 0r 'the magic paintbrush. By the same author as the gruffolo

We made very simple red tabards and using fabric paint decrorated them with chinese characters (letter ones). Chinese newspapers too from our local chinese supermarket along with menus like little angel mentioned.

We made cooli hats and fans and chinese fortune cookies (we made simple biscuits and wroteour wishes to go with them. One giant class made stir fry finished off a great topic.

Have fun :)

We usually make lanterns, fans (good for fine motor) dragon or lion masks, there is a website where you can get most names translated into Chinese script and the children love to try and copy using paint and soft brushes, using chopsticks to move things from one bowl to another is also excellents for fine motor skills, pictures of the animals the years are named after let the children draw/paint the animal of their birth year, we make a huge chinese dragon and suspend from the ceiling beams, chinese music, make lots of noise to frighten away nain (however you spell it) and we usually end up with a real chinese banquet (check for allergies)

some nice resources to download

http://www.chinatown-online.co.uk/pages/new_year/index.html

http://www.chinatown-online.co.uk/pages/fun/names/nameframe.html

Edited by MARl0N

HI - thinking of making the role play area into a Chinese Take Away or restaurant ... my mind seems to have gone blank - can anyone help????

WelshMiss

46112[/snapback]

Hi!

We turned our maths area into a chinese restaurant last year and encompassed capacity - (rice/weighing) and money - laying table for correct amount of people etc. We also made some rice 'portions' (far less spillage!) by mixing rice with PVA and letting it dry. Also spring rolls using salt dough - just rolling out into a pancake shape and then rolling into 'roll' shape!

Hope you have fun with it! Emma

Hi,

when i did Chinese New Year, we made money envelopes. Really simple red paper envelopes that the children decorated with their own gold chinese symbols. we then made gold rubbing money to put in the envelopes, and the children had their own money to take home.

Also 'Kung hey fat chow' (don't quote me on the spelling though, i did chinese new year two years ago!) means Happy New Year in Chinese.

I was really lucky, as one of the nursery assistants in my group at the time had lived in China and had collected a chinese doll, chinese lanterns, money, material and some of the language.

Good luck, hope it works well and you all have fun :o

Lu

Hi

activityvillage.co.uk has some nice ideas on it and DLTK (?) has some printables you could use for decorations. Sorry can't post the links directly. good luck

Rosa

hi, all of the above are fab - i have just got back from tesco with bags full of noodles and benasprouts ready for coooking extravaganza!

Also, Chinese new year song with background music available on

www.nancymusic.com

Enjoy!

ps

have bought a dustbuster for 9 pounds from argos - a must if you have rice and shedded paper (onions!) in your role play area!! Children love to use it!

:D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)