Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Moderation - Moderators Meeting

Hi guys,

Got the moderation letter through today where it looks like as i was moderated last year i wont be this year.

MD and PD are being looked at and my first question is, what evidence do you keep for pd? I have some observations and photos but these often are either blurred or look set up! What does everybody else do?

Also as part of the moderation, cluster groups get together to decide what levels are what, the moderators then go out into school to do their job. Has anyone been to one of these meetings before? I've been asked to bring evidence for the two area but i'm not really sure what they'll want to see.

Whatever youve got!!

you could take samples of fine motor control and any recorded work on healthy eating etc? Otherwise photos or observations detailing childrens physical skills. I think tick lists ought to be acceptable too.

I agree with you, Susan! Collecting evidence for PD is not that easy unless you photograph loads. I think that an annotated tick list, saying that a child can e.g. catch a ball or walk over an upturned bench unaided is more than adequate. For fine motor skills you could use handwriting samples, evidence from a cutting out activity, a picture created using a paint program, etc.

I also se tick lists for MD - a child can either recognise a number or not/ sequence numbers or not etc I only photograph occasional things, such as models or pictures for space, shape and measures.

i am being moderated too this year and the same things have been running through my mind. do you have to have a lot of evidence to give the child a point for the statment. sometimes i just know they can do without having to coolect the evidence. is this teacher judge accepted?

Hi

As a moderator in our authority I would be looking for jottings - on planning, post its, on observation records, etc You may have photos/ video but I guess most people will not. One of my main concerns would be whether children were give opportunities for Physical activity across a range of a of l , inside /out, and whether gross and fine motor was planned /adjusted from observations.

LGM

I am on the moderating team for my authority this year. We have asked for activites to be set up so we can observe children to match the evidence in written/photographic form etc.

What i found quite interesting when i made initial contact was that alot of the teachers said I will have to rearrange P.E. I think we all forget at times that PD can be developed in lots of activities not just in P.E.

What i found useful as a reception teacher myself, is the quick reference guide to the foundation stage profile criteria. It gives you clear examples of what the children should be able to do to achieve that particular FSP statement.

I only have a paper copy but will see if i can find a scanner or electronic version to post.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)